Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why Are Filifera Seedlings Dying?

Posted by loppyshingers 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 13:51

I'm trying to grow some W. Filiferas from seed, but I'm doing something wrong; can you help me?

I'm in Lubbock, TX (Zone 7a), and it's been HOT lately (+105f). I originally had trouble with seedlings being knocked over by the wind, so I built this little greenhouse. They have steadily been dying, and I think it's water-related.

They are planted in a (roughly) 80/20 coir/sand mix, but I'm experimenting with a few; they're in a 80/20 sand/coir mix.

I'm thoroughly watering them about twice per week. They seem to flop over, and never come back. The last pic shows the bottom of a dead seedling; you can see how the trunk is hollow and flat.

What do y'all think? Too much or too little water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why Are Filifera Seedlings Dying?

Here's what my little operation looks like.

o

The inside of the greenhouse

o

This seedling was lying down in the morning.

o

Here you can seed that the base of the trunk is hollow and flat. Is this the result of under-watering?

This post was edited by loppyshingers on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 14:01

o

How humid is your climate? CA fan palms arn't too happy in humid climates. They often die. The temps are fine though. It might be that your watering too much or the soil still holds too much moisture. Does the soil dry out before you water again?

- US_Marine

o

West Texas has very low humidity. I usually wait until the top inch or two is dry before I water. After reading about Filiferas growing in creeks, I'm thinking that my problem is under-watering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here