Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunter_m_gw

My new palm!

Hunter_M
12 years ago

Hi, everyone! I got another palm I am very exited to share! Its called the Orange collar palm, or orange crownshaft palm or sunset palm. Scientific name: Areca vestiaria. This is one of the coolest seedlings I think Ive seen.

Thanks for looking!

-Hunter

Comments (7)

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Cool palm Hunter,
    I really admire someone your age getting into palms.When I was your age all I knew was a palm tree was something that grew in Florida or Califorina or the tropics.I must warn you that palm collecting is very addictive,but what a great addiction to have.I hope all your plants live and thrive.There are many more cold hardy varieties you can grow outside even where you live,even more if you do move to Tennessee.Keep collecting and one day 20 to 30yrs from now you'll have a palm collection like no other.I hope the best for you and your collection of palms :)

• Hunter_M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much, buitaman. It really means alot. I know what you mean about it being addictive! I just got a chinese fan palm about half an hour ago! I need to stop, though. Im running out of room for them all!
    Again, thank you so much for the kind and encouraging words. It really means alot. Thank you.
    -Hunter

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Congrats on the new palms! Like Randy said, collecting plants is definitely an addiction. And I was saying the samething 3 years ago as you "Im running out of room". But my collection doubles every year and I still manage to find a way to squeeze them in the house. This year I'm going to have to start storing much more of them in the garage because Iast year I barely had enough room for them, and I have a lot more plants this year!!
    Trust me, if your collection grows half as fast as mine, your going to look at the pics of your yard from last year and comment how little you had in comparison!
    Time to start saving up for a greenhouse! I wish I had a place for one in my yard!
    -Alex

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hi Hunter!!!

Love the new palm!!!

Looks beautiful!!

I agree with everyone, love the enthusiam that you have for growing palms and other tropicals ... Plumeria : )

Keep up the good work!!!!

Looking good in Ohio..." Go Bucks!!!"

HI ALex..
    HI Randy!!!

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

• ericthehurdler
    12 years ago

Did you grow it from seed or order it online? its definitely a beauty!

• Hunter_M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alex: Thanks! I think I will have to limit my buying because of the winter. I had a little coconut palm seedling. It was so cute. It was the first flant I ever had. But buying it online in the middle of January froze it. I was really sad. Thanks for the nice words! I lloked at greenhouses online. They arent cheap. I think when we movto KY me and my dad are ging to build a greenhouse. Im looking forward to it. Again, thanks for the nice words!

@Laura: LOL I know the pot says buckeyes but it was my last pot! My dad gave it to me and it was the only option I had! HAHA! Thank you for the complaments. I really apreciate it.

@Eric: I got it online. I dont like seeds that much,lol.

Thank you everyone! Im off to my first day back to school!
    -Hunter

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hunter,

I hope you have a wonderful day at school!!!

Good Luck!!!

Laura in VB