Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richardc7

New adonidia merrillii!

RichardC7
11 years ago

I just got this palm, and i have it in a small pot and planted in 1/3 soil 2/3 sand probably. maybe a little more soil. Is that a good idea? its going to be in a indoor planter in front of a big window. Thanks for the advice!

Comments (14)

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

Beautiful. Christmas palm? I raised one from seed in a pot to a similar size. They do well inside, from m y experience. I did find that red spider mites loved my indoor palms. Keep a water mister handy, as mites like dry. I used the mister and a paper towels to wipe the leaves regularly. Keep in a sunny window and in the spring slowly introduce it to direct sun, under a tree or porch roof and inching and turning them out farther every few days.

• chachacharlie
    11 years ago

wow what a beauty!!! where did you get it from and how much was it?

• andyandy
    11 years ago

Looks great, When i had one I did have a problem with Mites in the winter indoors. Now every August I give my potted palms a dose of systemic granuals. Since I'v done that I hagve not seen one spider mite. Mabe a bit of scale but that's it.

• User
    11 years ago

I like them, but they don't seem to like me. This one is a true tropical and intolerant of even chilly temps...forget cold. They don't like to dry out in my experience even in 'winter', and because they seem to like frequent watering, I have this one in a very sandy mix. Still, I have lost a few of these over the years. Leaves would just brown suddenly...perhaps due to missed watering. Hopefully your experience will be different.

• RichardC7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you guys think my very sandy soil is alright?! thanks!

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Yea,you need to get an idea of how fast it drys out though.

Some of my plants in the sun,with the ratio sand/soil you mentioned dry out very quickly.

• RichardC7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great! thanks Jim!

• RichardC7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Alex! I'll try the neem oil too. Not to be very off topic, but do you just use christmas lights to protect your Pindo? I saw in a old, old post that you have one. Thanks!

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

I wouldn't have added sand. A good well draining potting mix is sufficient. I hope when you say 1/3 soil, you don't mean from out in the yard.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

What has worked best for me with spider mites is hosing them off the plants frequently.....

I think I will start to cry if I told you how many rare and wonderful palms I have lost do to bud rot from spraying insecticides on the plants...it never once got rid of them!

After the plant is dry and before you put it inside,you can spray it with Wilt-pruf,this does at least 2 things.....

It creates a nice barrier for the leaves from the dry indoor air and glues all these pesky bugs in place.

Then you just need to keep an eye on them and respray-either outside
    with water(preferable/not always possible in winter)or with Wilt-pruf again-be careful where you spray,it will stain.

• RichardC7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bradleyo- I added the sand, and general "Potting Mix" I purchased from Roses (the store lol) No.1 priority for not using yard soil, TOO MANY BUGS!!! lol
    Jimhardy- Awesome! i'm gonna try that! i don't want my plants to die!

• RichardC7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bradleyo- Is your yard soil slightly Clay-Sandy? mine is in West PIT, but it may just be what they put when they built my Neighborhood. i also find lots of rocks!

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Slightly clay, no. It is clay and rock, no sand anywhere. They do that when they build every neighborhood; strip the good soil, compact with equipment, litter with building debris, cans, etc..., sell back topsoil and only put enough of it on to grow grass. Have owned 4 homes in Pa so far, every one is exactly the same.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County