Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trishmick

Great Summer for my windmill

trishmick
11 years ago

Has loved the copious rain of late, and the infrequent fertilizinbg I provide. Only problem now is the height. Some pics...

Can't see the wall of the house behind the fig tree which has provided protection from the West. Gonna lose that very soon...

In this pic for scale. I'm 5' 11" tall...

Comments (9)

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

That's a great looking palm you have there. You should be proud to have a windmill like that in NJ. As for losing the West wall...I don't think you have to worry too much if it's doing that well. As you know, the larger and older it gets, the more hardy it becomes.

What have you been fertilizing it with?

• User
    11 years ago

What is being lost? The fig isn't offering winter protection as a deciduous. How long ago was it planted? Looking good, has it flowered?

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

My largest one is now reaching 10' at the tip of its fans. The petioles are ridiculously long now. I WISH we would get some of that "copious amounts of rain" NJ keeps getting. Had a good hour and half soak last Saturday, but that was first heavy rain all summer and not a drop since.

Nice job with the palm. I agree. You don't have to worry about it.

• bradleyo_gw
    11 years ago

Looks very tall, where in NJ are you?

• trishmick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When I refer to losing protection I mean the app. 8 feet wide, single story high section of the house which you can't see due to the fig. The slope of the roof there is shallow, so, before long, the fronds of the trachy will be fully exposed to West winds. Not too concerned, just worried about dessication, damage, and the like. We are abt. 1 mile from the beach at the Shore, less than 20 miles north of the infamous show town, and maybe 60 miles north of Atlantic City. As a result, you get a lot of prevailing wind from the East off the ocean...but, it blows hard from the West in the Winter. The trunk is between 7 and 8 feet tall now. And it has had no protection (other than the wall) for a few years . I fertilize twice a year with a slow release formula I bought from the tree's supplier, a company in Florida now out of business. I no longer have the bag it came in, but I believe it was a fairly evenly mixed blend that I've just about exhausted. Supplement that maybe 2 or 3 times a Summer with an all purpose plant food mix. And, hit all my plants and vegetables with seaweed I grab from the ocean. Fantastic fertilizer in my opinion.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Your trachy looks awesome! Its getting to be a really big size now, seems like it's growing faster and faster every year now. How do you clean off the seaweed from the ocean to get the salt off of it?
    Thanks for sharing! Hope your trachy keeps on thriving for you!
    -Alex

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

From your location id say this should be a great endorsement for this wanting to grow palms in the nyc area.

• aloyzius
    11 years ago

I think these and washies are so iconic. Amazing things. What a great palm you have.

• chadec
    11 years ago

Nice looking trachy. I believe once it out grows the house you'll have problems keeping the fronds looking nice. But it'll put out several new ones a year. I have one out in the open and it never looks as good as the ones next to my house.