Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasgar

germinating triangle palm tree seeds

jasgar
15 years ago

I have some triangle palm tree seeds and I was going to use the same method of germinating seeds that i use on many different seeds, i just wasn't to see if there is something else i should know or any tips? Anything will help. Thanks a bunch

Comments (26)

• donray
    15 years ago

What method have you used and what seeds have you germinated? I recently posted my method in another post.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/palms/msg0821035517842.html?2
    It's quicker to just buy already germinated seeds, then you don't have to wait several months or even in some cases a year or more. I recently seen someone who was selling sprouts reasonably priced. Check this place out to see if they have something of interest. You can send an email and inquire about what they have to offer. Ask for Jeff, I think he owns the place.

Here is a link that might be useful: GERMINATED PALM TREE SEEDLINGS/ SPROUTS

• jasgar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HEY donray, well i have seen and researched many ways of germinating seeds and i did the similar way that people have been doing it but added a twist and i have been getting great results. so far i have germinated many canary island dates and cardboard and Florida royal and european fan palm(took a month and a half) and pygmy date using this method. I first clean off the seeds i have bought or taken off a tree and make sure everything is of them because the fruit is no good when coming to germinating a seed successfully. Then i soak then continuously changing the water with added chlorine to kill any bacteria on the seed. and i basically use the zip lock technique but instead using a sealed container. I use well draining soil on the bottom of container then i put the seeds i am germinating on to the soil and place a paper towel over them to act like the top layer of soil, i do this because it makes it easier to view instead of getting your hands dirty from the soil. wet the paper towel and seal the container. You can either place it outside or put a heat lamp on top of the container about 6 inches to create a green house effect. I have used this way for many different seeds but i haven't tried it on the triangle and i was seeing if anyone has successfully germinated triangle palm tree seeds and how they did it? BTW i checked out your link its to bad they don't have triangle palm tree seedlings or else I would buy. Thanks though... any tips to add donray?

• donray
    15 years ago

Only adding the light is not necessary unless it is for heat, palm seeds do not require light to sprout. I also added another source for germinated seeds. They have several different species of Dypsis already germinated along with many others. You can compare prices to see who's got the better deal for you. Other than that all I can do is wish you luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ortanique

• jasgar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, and the light is just for heat and to create the humidity. But a constant heat, Unlike the sun its only out for 8 to 10 hours. So the time it takes to germinate outside might take a couple days longer. Not that big of difference but if your impatient as i am then the light is the way to go my friend.

• donray
    15 years ago

Cool deal! Just be carefull of too much moisture and humidity because they can easily rot before they sprout. Maybe we can have tea someday and admire your healthy little sprouted seedlings,friend!

• jasgar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well you live in texas i think thats going to be hard lol

• donray
    15 years ago

Maybe not! I love the Gators and travel frequently to Florida! My nephew owns a plane and loves to fly! You are in Florida right?

• donray
    15 years ago

No, it's just a small two seater that scares the hell out me because I can't drive it myself!I hope the Gators can kick some butt this year! We should do OK! I'm not too sure about that mean nova plantbully, I think he might own this sight! He sure can be mean though, huh? No worries though, because we are friends!

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Maybe you two could be on the same plane too,I'm am sure donray could find you both a seat!Jay I'm glad you have a new friend,cuz I know at least one you lost tonight,maybe you will feel better tomorrow,and then you can start playing with your new friend,but I don't think it will be around long.

• oppalm
    15 years ago

yow. can you say "scary"

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

Jay, I've been trying really hard to give you the benefit of the doubt but you're not making it easy. Remember what I told you in my private email.

• ttpalm
    15 years ago

Alright, alright. I'll cool down. Just having a little fun. =oP

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

Whoops. That last post was supposed to be from me. My wife signed in to ask greenclaws a question and forgot to sign out. Anyway, I'm done having my fun for now.

Jay

• donray
    15 years ago

Jay, most of that has been removed from here. We have moderators now!/?

• JohnnieB
    15 years ago

They are called board administrators. If anybody remembers Spike, they do all the things he used to do. Believe it or not, they do respond when somebody lets them know of advertising, abusive posts, flame wars, or other problems happening in the forums. They can delete posts or entire threads and in extreme cases they will ban repeat offenders.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to contact Gardenweb

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Whoever cleaned up this thread did a good job,it actually looks like a real thread now!B.T.W.Jay,I forgive you!I never associted you(good or bad) with chillipalm so it never was personal in that way.

• josh_palm_crazy
    15 years ago

Jim. I apologize for calling you out. You're the last one on here that I want to befriend. I'm sorry. I think we have acted unlike we normally do lately. Its easy to get carried away when things get heated. Lets just talk about plants/palms and the weather from now on. If you want to talk about anything else you have my email.

Jay

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

I read it,and the address,I am going there to get some palms,I think they said its o.k. to just dig them up or something,anyway I like palm trees!

• donray
    15 years ago

I love palms too! They are our friends. 11 posts were pulled from here so it doesn't make much sense. BTW Nova, I really don't think you're a mean plantbully LOL That was just part of a strategic plan and you were used as bait. Sorry about that. Funny they'de leave that one here!

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    15 years ago

Again, certain posts from this thread keep disappearing. Why not just DELETE every post in this thread that does not deal with germinating seeds? this thread is ridiculos.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Yea,its funny they took out the post where donnie got so and so to admit he's from florida,why does that matter?Sometimes when the axe falls it gets a little of the head?I guess.I know if you say nice things about G/W your post will stay but not the other way around.I have checked out some other forums but I have to say this is by far my fav!B.T.W.I am not big fan of sprouting seeds when these dang palms grow so slow!most of them anyway.See you in the funny papers.

• donray
    15 years ago

yaaaawwwwnnning, yeah sprouting palm seeds is a lot like following this forum now. Every once in a while a bird will come in and steal a seed sprout kinda like GW plucking posts from a thread.(come get this one too)

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

I think the post pullers and fake posters are all gone now-Jay I accept your apologie,don't get that last one though "your the last one I would want to befriend"?did you mean defriend?LOL,well it was fun while it lasted,hey were did our new buds go?Must be tea time! Peace

• jasgar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Moderator for cleaning this mess up.

• donray
    15 years ago

Jasgar! I was afraid we may had lost you! Where'd you go for so long? Good to see you're back my friend! I don't think the pullers going anywhere. I think they may have turned the reins over to a member who posts here and has absolutly no sense of humour what so ever! Have a safe trip Jim and bring me something nice back. Take lots of pictures of all the pretty palm trees!

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

To funny!I think all the palms are underground where I will be going,little pictures etched in rock,but I will look for some!No sense of humor or one that is as scary as a t-attack!and I don't mean tea.