Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooklyngreg

Brooklyn Palms Summer Update - finally.

brooklyngreg
12 years ago

The Spanish moss grew a long beard and bloomed this summer. There is a potted pindo yatay growing under it -see it reaching.

Here's the oleander Laura sent and its blooming pink.. thanks Laura.

Here a hibuscus pic for you ALex, see the big buildings in the background, they block the north wind. The courtyard gotta be zone 7b most winters.

Pindo Yatay growing well.

Odd shape but yummy heirloom tomatoes:)

Jim, here's my pindo I did sugery on and its started growing back after I cut the dead frond back just above the bud and potted it. Amazing.

It'been a hot summer for all.

Comments (20)

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Nice plants! I like the pindos. Laura sent me a plumeria too. Thanks Laura! I love it!
    Oh,and the dogs like:"What are you lookin' at?" Haha!
    Again nice plants!
    -Hunter

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Great pics!! Your hibiscus is doing way better than mine this year (thanks the grasshoppers that have been all over the place this year!). That big building definitely helps create a nice microclimate. I just reailzed that my backyard is probably in a cool microclimate. It got down to 59F last night in my yard which is much cooler than the local weatherstation reported. I was thinking that only being a block away from the ocean, and a heated pool would make for a warm microclimate, but I guess the white siding on my house and white deck counteract that. Oh well, at least my front yard is still a nice microclimate!

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Hunter. Laura has a special spirit and is very generous with her plants. She sent me other plants too and the're all doing well. Did you have any of the record rainfall I saw in the northern midwest?

Our summer was downright brutally hot & the pindo palms are still growing like weeds - very fast. We hardly had any rain during the record 97,99,104,105 degree heatwaves that stretched thru almost all of July. I had to be watering constantly.

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Greg everthing looks nice and happy. Thta yatay is definatley enjoying it's spot. BTW that odd shaped mater...that's called catfacing. It's natural usually caused by fused buds.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Hey Greg,
    It looks like those B.yatays are doing great for you.You do still have 2 of them?I had to trunk cut 2 of my B.capitatas also,mine came back too.I sold a lot of my potted palms this year.I have a triple pindo that I started from seeds,(from Laura)that's growing like crazy.Hows your T.fortunei doing?I know it looked very healthy last year.I hope everything is well with you and your family.I still have'nt posted very many pictures this year yeat.I spend most of my time working at my regular job and trying to get my plant business off the ground and running,then tending to all my yard work also.Oh and I cant forget my dog breading business.Good to see you on here again.
    Randy

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Greg: I dont have a record of rainfall here but I know its rained alot.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Looking real good there Greg.
    That is an amazing recovery on the Butia!!!!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Greg!!!

Ive been thinking of you...glad to see you posting!!

That Oleander looks awesome!!! Love the color!

Thank you for the kind comments!!

We need to catch up!!! Ive been very busy this summer.

That's why i havent been here much. But all is well now, nd im glad to be back!!!

Penny looks like she has had it with the heat!!! LOL

Hi to All...Hunter, glad your Plumie is doing great!

Alex... (Waving at you!!! : )

JIm...love to see more pics of your yard... I also planted my Huge Bluegreen Agave yesterday!!! WHew! What a job that was!!! I wsnted to askk you about the Thaii giant. Would thst be the same as what ii have in my back yard? When i bought is from the nursery all it said was it was an Aloceasa (SP?) Are they different? Thanks for ny info!

Randy..How are you!!!

Greg...everything looks wonderful!!! Great pics...

Hope all is well with you and your family!!!

Laura in VB

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Everything is looking great. Can't tell how surrounded you are by the buildings but I guess they really are a help in the winter. Can't wait to see those pindos in a couple years.

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your comments everyone:)

Hey Randy, sorry it took so long to get back to you but our 8" rainfall left my basement with some water - I pumped up 15 gallons. I still do have the 2 yatay's (one potted, one in ground)and I will try to post a photo of the potted one as its literally TAKING OFF. They are strong. The B.capitata seems less cold hardy than the yatay. My mistake was not placing a light bulb closer to the bud during frigid nights. But alas, it survived. I have too many cold hardy palms, how can I sell my Sabal Palmetto and butia capitata. I am willing to let them go very cheap compared to what I see advertised.

Hi Laura, Everything you sent me is doing well. The color of the oleander reminds me of warm weather. I thought that was a cute picture of Penny.. lol. Hopefully we'll touch base before its gets too cold and do the BBG tour:)

Chad7a, if you see the buildings in the background, imagine then making a big sqaure with a giant court yard in the middle divided up into small urban backyards.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Hey Greg,
    I sold most of my potted cold hardy palms out of my yard.I just put up a sighn that said Cold Hardy Palms for sale.Ironically I sold more cold hardy Bananas than anything,LOL.Here you can sell up to 5 plants a day without a permit.I thought about selling some more of my potted plants on ebay.I have way to many potted Agaves and Yuccas.I have about 50 S.palmetto seedlings I need to sell also.I just planted 25 B.yatay seeds in small pots to sell next spring.I have people stop by here all the time asking me if I'm selling plants,because of all the potted plants in my front yard.So I started selling some of them.I have about 30 Banana plants up by the road,I think that's what draws them here also.I live across the street from Bankhead Hwy and people can see them good while going through town so a lot of people stop and ask me about the Banana plants.Once they stop they see all the potted palms and Yuccas and Agaves.Usually then they ask me if I want to sell anything.That's how it started and more and more people keep stopping.The bananas draw them in and then they want to buy something.It seems to work good for me so far.
    Randy

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Randy, that's great. Its about location while selling things. Not sure if that would work in Brooklyn. You never know, because when I have a stoop sale we get lots of customers.

• HardyPalmFreak
    12 years ago

Nice collection and nice dog too!

I'm currently having a problem with spider mites. First I found them on my musa basjoo, then had to chop it down (it's fully grown back) and now my four of my trachys have spider mites. I have sprayed them using "Seven Spray" that I got from Home Depot. It worked on the musa for a little bit and then they came back. I've read a great deal on spider mites, but I just wish they would go away all together, because I don't want them ruining my plants. All it takes is one lose egg that wasn't sprayed and then I'm to square one, because they spread like wild fire.

Is there anything you would recommend that I do in this time of crisis?

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Great pics! Your courtyard looks like the one behind my building when I lived in Brooklyn. Brings back memories. Brooklyn is one of the greatest places to live.

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Hardy,
    Stay away from HD for most products. I had to return cement I just bought b/c it had so much sand it couldn't harden. I bought stainless steal appliances from them in 2006 and they rusted in 3 weeks and needed replacement. Top Manufacturers water down their products for the lure of big sales at supposed big discounts at HD. I would return what was left of the spray for a refund and if they question it, tell the manger it didn't work. You probably will get a refund. Buy a spray recommended by an educated nursery person that you trust and I am sure it will work.

Hi Jacklord, that's a solid name:) Where did you used to live? I have observed Brooklyn is a culinary capital. There are better buys and more authenic foods, old fashion breads, and even lobster rolls here compared with over-priced, over-crowded, over-leveraged, over-sold wait-in-line Manhattan. They just opened a lobster joint in Red Hook and its a good deal!

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Park Slope: 14th between 7th and 8th

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We were pratically neighbors. Park Slope is a good place to live but getting too crowded. I need more room for palms..LOL. Where do you live now?

• jacklord
    12 years ago

Maryland, just outside of DC. I have gone back and forth between New York and DC my entire life. I claim dual citizenship with no intended irony.

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL, you must like the milder winters DC has compared to NYC. Do you winterize your palms?

• jacklord
    12 years ago

I do not winterize my Sabals or Needles other than mulch.

I will eventually cease winterizing Trachys, maybe this winter.

My Butia and Meds will always have something. I am debating what to do with my Saw Palmettos.

Truth me told, DC is not that much warmer than NYC. They are both 7A with varios microclimates of course. I do recall traveling from NY to DC and noting that trees began to bud sooner down here. Basically, its a marginal difference. But perhaps those times with a few degrees count for something. 298 miles is just that. :)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!