Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removal/promotion

Posted by jimhardy Iowa 5b? (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 14:56

This Claret cup bloomed spectacularly this spring
but is now bloated and has cracked from its own
over efficiency at storing water and an abundance
(at least for a cactus)of rain this spring/early summer..

photo 100_7122_zps4bd5e3dc.jpg

photo 100_7123_zps00ed1292.jpg

Can you even see whats coming out of there?
Someone on this board sent me this-I believe
with a Protoamericana...I think this is Green Goblet(?)

photo 100_7120_zps2007bf9f.jpg

photo 100_7126_zpsc70c423a.jpg

photo 100_7124_zps194a3a12.jpg

photo 100_7127_zps97e02b02.jpg

photo 100_7128_zpsd5a39311.jpg

I think this Agave deserves to be showed off-how about you?

Thanks for looking

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removal/promotion

Jim- you have an awesome agave collection. I bet they'll be worth quite a bit of money really soon if they're not already. Great job. The next bed I do will definitely be a permanent desert bed. I like the idea of never having to water.

o

If you don't quit putting those Gloriosa in every picture im going to drive up there and remove those myself, Just love those things!.. Like the Agave in that spot much better it really is a beauty.

o

Thanks Ryan

I wish I made it bigger-they are way easier to take care of then palms.

Mike

There are definitely some that need to be removed...maybe even the large one in front of the bigger one but for sure there are
some nice sized side shoots.

o

Any idea if there are any agave that don't need moisture protection in zone 6? I know there are a few hardy to zone 5 but they don't tolerate winter moisture.

o

Whenever your ready to split them up just shoot me a PM and I'll get you the address and some money..I think m getting ready to move so everything will be in pots anyway it will fit right in. Would love to have one! Did you say that Agave you just planted was called Green Goblin?

o

Your desert bed is looking awesome! Those agaves are beautiful and the Y. Gloriosa and cactus are looking very nice and robust!
Thanks for sharing
-Alex

o

Jim, thats definitely some form of A. salmiana. Those cacti are going crazy. Never seen them bust apart so quick.

islandbreeze, your best luck will be with A. Havardiana or A. Parryi var. Neomexicana.

o

Looks great there's an excellent assortment of colors with the blue and green agaves and the variegated yucca.

o

Ryan

You would at least need a cover for any kind of Agave.

Thanks Chad

I think its Agave Salmiana Ferox.

Dennis

Thanks

It is fun to have a green one up there,I bet it will get huge fast out in the sun.

I have done some more pruning too,I will post some pics later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here