Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It is official! July hottest month on record!

Posted by andyandy 6bMI (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 15:08

According to the NWS July was the hottest month on record (since 1874) on record for Detroit. I live 5 miles west of Detroit so I'll go with it. The average temperature for July was 79.2. 79 was the old record set twice. We have had Julys with higher high temps but we had only a handfull of nights drop below 7o last month. At least for today August has picked right up. 91 out 88 tom 86 we and high 80s again by weekend.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It is official! July hottest month on record!

Great! So with that in mind have you seen significant growth in the past 31 days?

o

uh oh, make way for the global warming/climate change folks :)

o

Must have been 83F here.
Avg for July was 73/93

o

I have seen tons of grwoth last month. The last 4-5 days being the fastest with all of the rain.

o

If I wasnt so interested in pushing my zone Id jump on the climate change band wagon, but since I love tropicals I say bring it on. I little rain wouldnt hurt. We are headed for an all time state record high of 113 tomorrow. Should be interesting. My musa basjoo is putting out a new leaf every 3 days.

mike

o

Mike-
I saw last night the forecast for Norman was 113. How do your palms do? that sounds too hot for some.

o

Hey andy

i have 2 pindo in ground 1 needle and one sabal palmetto that dont seem to be effected at all. One pindo is about 4 feet tall and the others are only about 2 feet tall. They are all green so far. The only ones that I have noticed any growth lately are the pindo's

Bananas, cannas, elephant ear, hibiscus, and plumeria are going nuts. My citrus are doing pretty good to. May have to shade them if this keeps up. One satsuma mandarin did ask to be put into the shade though, LOl.

The humidity has been lower than normal. I guess that comes with the drought. Normally we have 50% plus but it has been much lower. Reminds me of when I went to Vegas one summer.
Mike

o

I think too much heat is not the best thing for a lot of palms. Sometimes we forget that while they come from tropical areas that is usually some place that never sees 95 much less 100+. Miami has never had a recorded temperature above 99. Hawaii almost never hits 90.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here