Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Red lava rock--useful in soil?

User
11 years ago

Today I was in HD and noticed red lava rock being sold among the various mulches. I was wondering how this material may be useful as a soil component. Never used it before or even really heard about it until this year but assume it was around for years. I would wash it and perhaps break it up a bit before adding it to soil mixes or maybe using it as a decorative top mulch for containerized tropicals. Any problems associated with its use..ph levels, etc.. Thinking of using it primarily on these types of plants:

Citrus

Palms and cycads

Bromeliads and other epiphytes

Succulents

Plumeria

Any other suggestions? Personal experience with this material appreciated.

Comments (5)

• catkim
    11 years ago

As an experiment, I used lava rock to do what I called "volcano planting". My method was to dig out the hard, sandy, clay soil, and mix some of that back in with a palm/cactus mix, and plenty of lava rock. I formed that into sort of a cone shape in the planting hole, set the palm, then filled the hole with alternating laters of soil and lava, the top-dressed the planting with black lava to add some heat on sunny days. Since this was not a controlled experiment, all I can say is most all the palms planted this way continue to thrive, with the single exception of some Archontophoenix purpurea, which might have bit the dust from too much sun exposure at a young age, or not enough water. I planted Coccothrinax, spindles, and Rhopalostylis this way. Other palms planted in a more orthodox manner have done just as well, what can I say?

The red lava rock seems like it would be overly coarse for use in nursery pots, but the finer black cinders are great to promote fast drainage.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Only red was available of a larger grade which is why I will be breaking them up some. What are 'the black cinders'?

• chadec
    11 years ago

Red lava rocks are typically use as a top dressing instead of much. It could be used in the soil to provide better drainage. But there are cheaper rocks that will give the same benefit.

• catkim
    11 years ago

Black cinders are probably 1/8 the size of the typical red lava rock that is sold for use as an ornamental top dressing. If you've bought palms from Hawaii, they are often potted in this finer black, porous gravel.

It is much harder to find.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    I use crushed black lava rock almost exclusively on epiphytic orchids you can find several grades of it at "Bushel stop" nuseries The advantage is that it's pH neutral doesn't decay, does not encourage weeds and costs about a third of "Leca" For terrestrial mixes I much prefer "Turface" Check out "Als mix" on the houseplant forum. for the various formulas. many people including me rave about them!! lol Love it for a general mix for palms
    gary

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone