Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Only 1 frond is having problems....hmmm

Posted by us_marine Cali-z9b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 15:21

As soon as I can find the charger to my camera I'll post some pics. My phone doesn't take good enough pics to show you what I am talking about. The 2nd to oldest frond on my coco is showing some interesting discoloration/damage of some kind. It's browning in spots in an weird randomish pattern but they are very small. To me almost like a burn of some kind, like dry spots from too much sun. They are too small and don't quite look brown enough or enough like the browning on the sick new coco's from a while back. They are also not just at yellowing tissue near the tips, but also in green tissue as well near the middle of the frond.

And its pretty much just on that one frond. And the damage does seem to get worse, but the frond is pretty much ok. Pretty much other than that one frond the rest of the fronds are just fine. The palm was recently transplanted. The new frond appears to still be getting taller and opening and the spear in the center looks to be getting larger. So idk yet forsure. lol Maybe fertilzer burn of some kind? I just hope that it isn't the same fungus that came with the 2 new coco's.

Any ideas before I can take good pics?

Thanks,

- US_Marine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Only 1 frond is having problems....hmmm

You fertilized?
When you transplant you should only use a starter fertilizer low in NO3. You want the roots to get established first. I usually mix cow manure in to the planting hole when I first put plants into the ground.

o

I cant really say for sure without seeing pics, but I had a problem with my cococnut palm when it first went indoors and some of the fronds discolored, but the problem solved itself so your's might to. A pic would definitely help!
-Alex

o

@ don licuala- No, I didnt. But before I transplanted it I did. Its a slow release (3 months and I can't remember when I added it but I always add less then they say but apply more often) and its worked into the top layer of soil.

Thanks for looking guys, I'll try to have pic up in a few min.

- US_Marine

o

Photobucket

Photobucket

And here you can the palm is just fine, and all the other fronds are good.

Photobucket

- US_Marine

o

Hi. That looks to me like one of the old divided leaves.
Is it possible it's the oldest leaf on the palm? It might
be dying off from old age.

o

Yup its one of the oldest fronds. Its actually the 2nd to oldest frond but I guess thats still possible. I just find it weird that it only started doing that after I re-potted. And the other side of the same frond isn't as bad and is actually a lot greener but does recieve less sun. I think its new location gets a little more sun. But I'm hoping its in a warmer location so it can stay outside longer.

- US_Marine

o

Hi. Ya often times a palm will lose a leaf or two when you
plant or transplant them. I planted a Blue Hesper palm in
my backyard a few months ago and over time the two oldest
leaves died off. I recently planted a Queen palm and the leaflets on the oldest frond are turning orange. However,
it could also be that the leaf is just going by. It's a natural thing for the oldest leaves to die. Some of the Washingtonia palms here in Arizona City have "skirts" made up of the old dead leaves.

o

Here is my Blue Hesper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here