Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brooklyngreg

Cold Hardy Palms in Planet of the Ape movie

brooklyngreg
12 years ago

I was surprised to see so many tracky's in gardens and pots all through this movie. Observe the yard scenes and potted plants outside of ape holding areas. Although, it probably was filmed in the San Fransico area, perhaps the colder western suburbs could only have trackys. The moral of the story - tracky's have "arrived". #2, the movie was touching if you like animals and not too harsh(and lots of action), I'd give it 3 stars. Not for kids b/c of some violence.

Comments (11)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Im glad Im not the only one who looks for palms when watching movies! I often see palms in movies or shows that are suppose to take place in a cold city, which pretty much gives away the fact that it was actually filmed in LA.
    -Alex

• User
    12 years ago

If you like palms and movies, you MUST see two movies where palms actually play a central role in the plot. Besides the palms and the humor, the movies are terrific!

'Mister Roberts' (1955 with Henry Fonda)--Available for rental at Amazon

and 'I"t's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World' (with a cast too numerous to list)

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alex, that'a funny... lol. I notice palms many times too. My wife says I am ruining the movie when I point it out... Producers try to hide palms by just catching the trunks of palms while panning a scene. The Waltons are suppose to be living in the mountains of Virgina. It's way too dry and sparey brushed compared to true Virgina. Plus they never have winter - ever? When Johnboy goes to college nearby, if you look carefully at tree-top back grounds, you'll see giant canary palms... - mountainous Virgina - nope - sunny CA fer shuur...lol. I see palms so many times when watching films or TV shows that are suppose to be in cool mountains etc.. You're not the only one.

PS Did you have the record rain?

THanks for the tip NJ:)

• HardyPalmFreak
    12 years ago

OMG -- I noticed them too and was rambling to my friends about them during the movie! I'm glad I'm not alone with this one.

• chachacharlie
    12 years ago

LOL Ok I'm convinced I'm gonna have to go see this movie...and then rent the other two on Amazon! I've been re-watching all The Wonder Years episodes again lately. Some people think it was supposed to be in NY others in L.A. To those who believe it was in NY...check out those palms! :)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Lol, I ruin every movie also by pointing out all the plants! And yes, I did get record rain! 8.44 inches in my yard! Lots of flooding too, but at least I dont have to water the plants!
    -Alex

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PJack, check out the movie.

Alex, its been a blessing not to have to water constantly. We could use some drying-out weather now.

• jacklord
    12 years ago

"Im glad Im not the only one who looks for palms when watching movies! I often see palms in movies or shows that are suppose to take place in a cold city, which pretty much gives away the fact that it was actually filmed in LA."

So do I. Back in the day. I have spotted them in Hill St Blues, 30 Something, and the Six Million Dollar Man. Supposed to be the Midwest, Philly, and DC respectively.

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

"Not for kids b/c of some violence."
    You got somthin' against kids? Lol just kiddin' with ya! Haha!
    Isnt that movie rated pg-13? If so, I just made it,lol!
    I want to see that movie. I hope its better than the old version because I didnt like that one that much.
    -Hunter

• User
    12 years ago

Haven't seen the new one. But here's the deal, in the original ones, humans are the evil ones because destroyed the world G-d gave them.--The apes, therefore, inherit the world. I understand that in the new one, the apes are the bad guys. In any event, I have long since refrained from goin' to the movies.

• brooklyngreg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The Apes were NOT portrayed as the bad guys in the movie... the comercials give that impression I noticed as well. The Apes were just defending themselves against cruel humans and were exposed to a experimental drug/chemical that made them very smart. Once smart, they realized how badly they were being abused (by greedy humans wanting drug company profits)and the Apes sort "freedom". Being smart they could figure a way out. At the same time right before the movie ended the chemical that made Apes smart had a deadly effect on humans as it was spreading like a disease.