Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgtksw05

Pindo Palm Jelly

sgtksw05
11 years ago

I live in Jacksonville FL and of course we have more Pindo Palms than I shake a stick at, even a Pindo Palm farm out towards MacClenny. What I dont seem to be able to find anywhere is Pindo Jelly. I love the fruit. Ive got some chillin in my refrigerator right now....but while I can come across plenty of recipes, Im no cook/cheif.

I know pindo palms are plentiful across the deep south so Im hoping that someone else on this board might have some pindo jelly that I would be willing to buy for a substantial price (for jelly anyway).

Comments (17)

• andyandy
    11 years ago

I've also been puzzled by that. I've googled looking for Pindo Jelly i could order online and come up empty.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

If i make some for the end of the summer.. ill find you guys and send you all some jelly1!! OK?

: )

Laura

Keep this thread alive!!! LOL... I like too make the jelly, but i cut off the seed pods on all of my trees to keep it neat this year. I can still find the fruit.. so hold on and maybe i can find some time in sept..

LJ

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

I'm gonna take your clippers away, Laura.

• sgtksw05
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL!! @ wetsuiter.

Andyandy, same here, Ive finally broken down and am just asking others online.

Laura, just so were clear on "substantial price, for jelly anyway". I intend on paying $20 for at least a 10 ounce jar PLUS whatever S & H to get it here.

I know 20 bucks for pindo jelly seems really rediculous but this is a supply and demand issue at this time...and I really want to try this jelly out. :)

11 years ago

Silly men!!!

When i make my jelly, the cost is just the smiles that i receive back when you say you like it!!!

I just need to find the fruit and then get busy...

My daughter will be having her little one the first week of Sept, so when that all settles down and i officially become a "grannie" LOL.. Yikes!!! I willl make you all some!!! No need to pay anything sgtksw05..

Just do me a favor and keep Wetsuiter from taking my clippers...LMAO!!!! I can put up a pretty good fight!! LOL...Bring it on V!!!

You are a sweetheart V!!!

TOU both!!! (R)

Take care,

Laura

• jacklord
    11 years ago

Since so many Pindos grow there, could you just pilfer some fruit from random trees and make your own?

11 years ago

That is the plan Jacklord!!

Of course i will ask when i see some fruit.

Today, i did see some that will be "prime" for the picking in a few weeks!!

I will ask first.. This was a restaurant, so im sure they wont care.. They will just look at me like i have three heads.. LOL!!

Take care,

Laura

• the_daver
    11 years ago

Hello All!

I just spent a half hour looking for Pindo Palm Jelly this morning before I stumbled upon this forum. I'd love to try it! I'm working on a book (http://www.facebook.com/PracticalPermacultureDesign) that will incorporate a lot of unusual edibles and I want to try as many as I can before I put them in the book. Pindo Palm is on my list!

Did this batch of jelly ever get made? If so I'd love to try a sample!

Cheers!

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Practical Permaculture Design Book

• eriktampabay
    11 years ago

We have 40 Pindos here and I have just recently found some recipes from a individual from Argentina on another forum.

We will have a go at it next spring when the fruit is more available.

Butia capitata jelly
    First step - Fruit pulp
    Select 5 kg of ripe fruits of Butia capitata
    Washing in clean water
    Disinfection in a solution of 10 liters of water and 15 ml of hypochlorite for 5 minutes
    Remove the disinfectant and place the fruit in a saucepan to cook with 2 liters of water for 30 minutes after boiling
    Passing the cooked fruit pulp through a sieve of 3 mm twice to remove seeds, husks and fibers
    It can be stored frozen
    Second step - Make jelly
    1 Kg Fruit pulp
    1 Kg white sugar
    16 gr of pectin
    1 gr citric acid
    1 gr malic acid
    Place the fruit pulp and 500 gr of sugar in a saucepan, cook over high heat stirring constantly until reaching the 45 � Brix
    Add 350 gr sugar without remove from heat and stir constantly
    Add 150 gr of premix sugar with Pectin, as rain and stirring
    Add the citric acid and malic acid, stirring
    Continue stirring and cooking until reaching 68 � Brix
    Place hot in glass jars disinfected.
    Place the disinfected lids and leave invested for 5 minutes
    Butialiquor
    Place in a saucepan
    1 kg of ripe fruit of Butia,
    1 liter of water
    1 kg of white sugar
    3 clove
    Boil one hour and after cooled, pressing and filtering.
    Add 250 cm3 of Ron (or more, is your choice)
    Put in bottles and let stand 45 days before to drink
    Butia sauce for red meat
    Place 3 kg of ripe Butia fruits soaked in clean water
    Let them soak for three days
    The third day, remove the water and put 2 liters of clean water
    add 1.250 gr of white sugar, 1 clove, 20 gr of black pepper powder, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon of paprika and 2 teaspoons of chili powder
    Cook two hours on low heat.
    Pressing and filtering
    Serve with red meat hunting or pork
    Best regards

• eriktampabay
    11 years ago

Yummm.

• sgtksw05
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dude, that is so not nice!! Im drooling all over my keyboard/desk at the sight of all those pindo dates. Now Ive got to go get a towel to wipe up this mess.

Is there a farm there in Tampa that harvest those? If so whats the name?

Or is that some of your handy work?

• eriktampabay
    11 years ago

Hello Kevin,

That is some of me and my partner Marks handy work. Those are actually Mule Palm seed taken from the Butia after we pollinated them. We give away a lot of the Butia seeds/fruits that we do not pollinate. They are sweeter then the average Butia the farm is not to far from Tampa in Parrish Florida. Since you are drooling I will post a couple more photos.

• eriktampabay
    11 years ago

After the fruit is removed.

11 years ago

Awesome pics!!!

I have made Jelly before and it is delicious.. Sorry to say, i didnt have the time this fall.

But i will make some if you all are still interested this coming summer...

No cost to you all.. : )

I like your recipe.. Mine came from B. in Lynchburg. Tks!!

Love theose pics.. i can smell them already..

I need a drool towel too! LOL..

Laura

• eriktampabay
    11 years ago

Hello Laura,

I have been told that the cook time is longer then what is said in the recipe that I had posted. What is your experience in that? Did you have to cook the fruit down longer?

11 years ago

Hi Erik,

Your recipe is much more involved than mine. LOL...

I dont disinfect my fruit..(Hypoclorite) I just rinse and cook.

You are right about the 30 minutes.. i had to go and reread your recipe. Thinking back, i think i cooked mine down around 1 hr. Because i had a large stock pot full and i wanted it to break down well. I also use a sieve to strain my liquid and then start to prepare the mix.

I can find the recipe and send it to you if you would like.

It seems like mine is a little more simple.. I admire you and your pictures of all of your fruit and the way you prepare yours.. DO you sell it commercially?

It all looks great tho.. Great job..

Let me know.. You can always send me an email too. Ill check back to see what you want to do.

I love this Jelly.. Especiallly on Bagels!! YUM!!

Take care,

Laura

• eriktampabay
    11 years ago

Hello Laura,

Yes please post your recipe as well. I am sure others would like to view it too. I do not sell any jelly or any of the fruit commercially. We do the hybrid palms commercially. We give away the fruit and seed that we do not hybridize to others most of them just plant them to grow out the butia palm.

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County