Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palms4all

phoenix robellinis - help needed

palms4all
13 years ago

Hello,

Any suggestions on how to revitalize this phoenix?

The specimens beside it are fine...

{{gwi:1156394}}

Comments (12)

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

They like espon salts and palm fertilizer, then water well.

Phoenix Roebelenii must the same as a date palm?

• tropicpalms
    13 years ago

agree with brooklyn- looks like some sort of manganese deficiency being yellowish drooy/dry looking also the fronds which grew in are all distorted in shae and color. so Epson salt and water well i would say...-Jusitn in VB

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    13 years ago

Phoenix Roebelenii are date palms. They are just dwarf / miniature date palms, hence the common name Pigmy date palm.

I think you should remove some of the lower fronds that have dead/ brown on them. looks like maybe 4 or 5 of the lowest fronds on each of the two palms that are closest in the photo. Honestly, the new growth does not look that bad.

Water them WELL, and I would take the advice above and use a palm fert and/ or some Epsom salt.

I think with these simple steps your palms will be back to looking great in fairly short order, and the new growth will look even better.

• palms4all
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you very much to those who contributed. Will treat with Manganese.

I'll see if I can take another picture if I see improvement.

• jean001
    13 years ago

Umm. Manganese is *not* epsom salts. That stuff is magnesium.

Further I would suggest a professional soil test to determine if that's what's really needed.

Beyond that, where do you live?

Also, is the irrigation, and the exposure to light & heat, for the two clumps *exactly* the same? And have you physically checked the moisture status of the soil? As in sticking a trowel in it?

• david_
    13 years ago

Manganese is not epsom salt is correct but manganese does help correct frizzle top. I would try using a good fertilizer with minors and add a little manganese to the mix. The soil sample is a good Idea if that is not to much trouble for you. Usually you can go to your local Ag agent if you have one there and they can help with soil sampling.

• tropicpalms
    13 years ago

yea jean... thanks just typing too quickly yes u r right epsom salt is magnesium which helps green up some fronds. manganese diff. just like david stated helps frizzle top manganese diff. so both will def. good luck with your pigmy date palm. -Justin in VB

• Edleg
    11 years ago

I am hopping you fine folks could help me out with this Robellini, I have cut away most of the dead frons, but the new ones have some discoloration as well.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

Again, no expert, but I'm guessing that is what is called Frizzle Top which happens when there is a deficiency in manganese. Something I learned from listening to a botanist on youtube, I think, is that when looking at palm fertilizer, you need to make sure it has a decent amount of manganese in it as well as the prime three, (N, P, K). He said something about looking for palm fertilizer that was N : P : K +14. He didn't say for sure, but I think the 14 is supposed to be for the manganese or something. I'll have to find the video again and get all the numbers straight, but I have yet to find a + anything at either HD or Lowe's and I think I'm going to have to find an actual garden center to find the fertilizer he mentioned.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

According to this brochure, the fertilizer is 8-2-12 +4Mg (Magnesium, not Manganese) but that the fertilizer should also have Iron, Manganese and Boron to be a 'complete' palm fertilizer.

• TAB3230
    11 years ago

Looks to me - Your issue very common to Florida, i also working it to be solved, you should test your soil under palm for pH if it is alkaline, you need to add Manganise, Iron, Zink, Cupper Molibdenum micros, it is manganese sulphate and Chelated iron ratio 1 to 1 and other metals Chelated kinds, they are 6%, not 10 in mixes, they will serve very high pH defficiencies, It is for short term, for long term, your soil probably sandy and has no organic matter left - depleted, add mulch, ASAP, or other organic sources. If your palm close to walkway or driveway - you should remove it and plant something else, these palms like low pH rounds and cement asphalt or concrete always keep pH high for roots around.

• TAB3230
    11 years ago

Instead of robbelinis I like Christmas palms much more, less care less troubles. Same attractive appearance.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals