Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Palm ID --- VIDEO --- Dublin Ireland --- Trachy???

Posted by theiss87 7a Newark DE (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 15:46

On vacation to Ireland, I stumbled across what APPEAR to be Trachycarpus Fortuneis in several places across the country. However, the lower portions of the trunk are incredibly smooth, leading me to guess they can be/have been trimmed? MOST interesting of all, one I found is flowering.

In addition, I found a quite large Butia Capitata (Pindo) in a very protected microclimate (protected on three sides with brick walls, and the fourth might as well be as it is a large stair case.

Windmill Palm - Glendalough Ireland Windmill Palm - Glendalough Ireland Windmill Palm - Glendalough Ireland
Windmill Palm - Dublin Ireland Windmill Palm - Dublin Ireland Pindo Palm - Dublin Ireland

Here is a link that might be useful: VIDEO of Windmill Palms w/Clipped trunks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Palm ID --- VIDEO --- Dublin Ireland --- Trachy???

Nice finds! The palm in your pic is definitely a trachy! Ireland has a nice zone 9 climate so Trachys do very well there! Not bad for being 50+ N in latitude!!
-Alex

o

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I have never seen such high specimens in person or one with a smooth trunk, and all the large ones were smooth. Also kind of surprising that the one was flowering.

o

Yeah,thats a trachy. I think it was trimmed for a more tropical look. They can actually get to about 20 ft. tall.
-Hunter

o

Theiss87, I keep telling you that you need to see some of the windmills in Rehoboth Beach. The are about 15' tall and flower each spring. Fair amount of seeds ripening up now.

o

Even without looking at photos I would have guessed Trachycarpus.. .what else would anyone grow there?

o

I visited Ireland back in 1986 and was shocked to see Palms there. Then someone explained the Gulf Stream influenced the climate, etc. That was probably what sparked my interest in hardies.

Anyway, I recall mostly Trachys (which I have also since seen in Germany, England, Switzerland, and Alpine Italy) but also a fair amount of Cordylines.

o

Ahhh, Ireland--this passion for palms must be in my green, Irish blood.

o

njoasis: You have Irish in your blood? I have Scotch-Irish in my blood.

o

Scotch-Irish here too.

o
RE: Help with Palm ID --- VIDEO --- Dublin Ireland --- Trachy???2

"It's proud I am that I'm Irish. And don't you

be forgetting, Missy, that you're half-Irish too. And to

anyone with a drop of Irish blood in them, why the land

they live on is like their mother. Oh, but there, there, now,

you're just a child. It'll come to you, this love of the land."

"Gone With the Wind" (1939)

....So true.

o

Hunter and NH oasis, It's "SCOTS - Irish", not scotch. Scotch is the whiskey. A Scot is someone from Scotland. They are Scottish, not scotch. My British family pointed that out to me many years ago when I made thesame genealogy claim.

o

Sorry, a mistake. Whats funny is Im part British too!
My moms ancestors English and my dads are SCOTS-Irish.
I also have some French too,lol.

o

Not a mistake, both Scots-Irish and Scotch-Irish are in used synonymously in modern, American usage. Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch-Irish_American

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here