Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palmcitrusbananava

Preparing for Hurricane Irene

palmcitrusbananava
12 years ago

Hey guys, It has been awhile since I posted, but I need your help! I live across from the beach and was wondering if I could protect my plants in any way. I mainly am worried about: musa basjoo/ windmill palms/cannas/hardy hibiscus/summer chocolate mimosa/butia palm/ and a few more.

I am mainly worried about all the salt if the water runs over the dunes and the salt in the wind.

I was planning on wrapping the palms in plastic and then adding support to the mimosa's stem. I can bring the canna bulbs inside. Will any of this help? Should I do anything to the hibiscus?? Should add support to the palms base (so they don't snap)?

I didn't have all these plants when Isabel hit, so I am not sure on what to do. I hope I don't loose everything.

-zach

(Going to take pictures before the damage!)

Comments (3)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I wish I could help, but I have the same problem. I have tons of vulnerable plants, and nothing much I can to for them. Im bringing in my most fragile potted plants and I tied up some of the ones in the ground. Im going to bring as many potentially flying projectlies indoors so that way I dont have to worry about things flying into my windows or plants. Right now the forecasted sustained wind is 60 mph for my area and over 300,000 peoople are evacuating in NYC alone (and its the first mandatory evacuation in the history of the city).

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

Wish I could help. If you are THAT close to the ocean (where exactly are you?) I don't think there is too much you can do. Shoring up, tying down, etc is about it. I wouldnt worry so much about salt spray, but inundation from the ocean and / or sounds/ bays, along with severe winds are probably your worst threats. What I have done, (and am doing now) is I take 4 foot steel rebar and drive it 2 feet into the ground, and tie up my taller palms / plants as tight as I can. I don't thing they will go anywhere even in 80 mph winds honestly. I pushed on my 8 foot tall pigmy date palm as hard as I could and it would not budge. But that is really all you can do. Secure loose objects, bring them in, or tie things down. Unfortunately, there is really not much you can do about salt water inundation. I honestly dont thing wrapping things will do much of anything. Neither will tying up the fronds. I suppose there is always the infamous "hurricane cut", which would cut down on pressure from the winds, but then youd have to wait for it to grow back. My two pigmy date palms (one 8 feet tall and one 4 feet tall) took a severe storm last summer where we had 100 mph winds, and they were just fine. Like nothing ever happened, even after they were blown completely over (they are in pots) they were fine. I did learn my lesson tho, and now secure them so almost nothing can knock em over. Anyway, Wish you all the best and hope things dont get too bad for you and your plants are all ok, if not salvageable.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Like Alex and Ken say... nothing you can do about the water.... But if i were you and u do want to try and protect...u could wrap burlap around the palm fronds and secure them with twine, that will help them from getting all ripped up. Just do the best as u can.

All of my Trees cactus Dr's Plumeria are inside...some of my container Palms are down on the side of the house.

I dont worry about the flooding of salt water, but we are expecting to receive 14 inches of rain... we are more worried about the wind gust.

Good Luck,

Sometimes you cant worry about some of the things that mother nature throws our way...if you do get salt water....hopfully it will drain fast. Sometimes we here get the overflow from the sounds and some salt water overflow. it may not like ur trees. I would flush out as soon as possible when the water receeds.

Hope this helps some....

Laura in VB

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH