Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to plant?

Posted by Aliciadawn76 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 16:00

Hi! Someone gave me this palm that has roots busting out the bottom of the pot. I don't normally have questions on how to plant something but this one has me a little confused. Would I plant at this same level? Or would I plant deeper where those roots are showing?? Or would I plant all the way to where it looks like the natural base of the tree is?? I'm in Central Florida and have no idea what kind of palm this is, but was told a Chinese palm??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to plant?

I guess they meant Livistona chinensis, Chinese Fan Palm. They're pretty tough. I'd plant it to the depth where I marked up on the photo. But it wouldn't matter that much if you went either side of that.

o

Awesome! Thank you so much!!

o

I agree, about there should be fine! You might want to mulch it about a half an inch or so above the soil line at that level just to make sure that none of the roots get damaged. Palms are very sensitive to root damage so it might take a year or 2 to establish and start growing really well again so don't get too worried if it looks bad a little while after you transplant it!

o

You sure it isn't a Washingtonia Robusta?

o

Washingtonia Robusta meaning Mexican fan palm?? Someone told me in the Florida forum it was a Mexican fan palm. I actually know nothing about palms and have found this one looks about like every one I Google!

o

That's a Livistona.

o

That looks like a Mexican fan palm to me. My Livistona has a trunk a similar size to that and the fronds are a lot larger and droopier. My Washingtonia is a little smaller than yours but looks very similar.
That's my guess!
-Alex

o

Washingtonias have all those "hairs" on the fronds, Livistonas don't.

o

The 1st pic looks Washingtonia. The 2nd kind of looks Livistona. Do you see fibers/hairs on the leaves?

This post was edited by theseventhlegend on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 20:51

o

They're all pics of one tree, just different angles :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here