Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyo_gw

Lots of Id's needed and a cast iron update

bradleyo_gw
12 years ago

First off the Cast iron plant. A couple of weeks ago I was complaining how it sat still and did nothing for three months. Well all of a sudden, lots of new shoots and even a couple of flowers.

Palm #1, received in a welcome basket of a dozen or so plants which I potted up individually.

Palm #2 same situation

Cactus #1 - received from Jim K. last spring

Cactus #2 - bought at a local nursery, owner claimed it was hardy here.

Cactus #3 - bought from Ralph at Pungo Palms. He didn't think it would survive here, but it has been 3 years unprotected.

Banana which was unable to be identified last time I posted several years ago. I'm planning on the Frank method of digging and storing. I tried that with this one last time but it rotted in my probably below freezing garage.

Bought this from Joe K. last year. I thought it was a calla lilly but it hasn't flowered. The leaves are big and beautiful.

Comments (4)

• User
    12 years ago

Beautiful pics! Don't know where you are but, did you know Cast Iron (Aspidistra) is quite cold hardy. Mine never looked so great in a pot. I planted it two Springs ago and it not only survived last Winter (which was VERY BAD here), but looks great now with better growth than in a pot. It's planted near the house in a mostly shaded area. And now that I think about it, they seem deer proof. The deer devour my Hostas which are near the house too but leave the Aspidistra completely alone. PS., Had to take all small and mid-sized plants inside--all large tub-planted palms are gathered together agains the walls of two garages awaiting our big one (Irene) with 12 plus inches of rain and hurricane force winds.

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

#1 looks like it is a Triangle Palm Dypsis decaryi

#2, looks like it is a chamaedorea oblongata

Cactus' 1, 2 and 3 are each a type of Opuntia (Prickly Pear) cactus.

Cactus#1 looks like it could be either Opuntia Robusta or Opuntia engelmannii.

Cactus#2 looks like it is Opuntia microdasys

Cactus#3, not sure, but it is some type of Opuntia.

Your Banana, not sure. Basjoo? Looks very similar to my Basjoos but then again many bananas are not so easy to tell apart. lol.

Not sure about your last photo but I do not believe it is a Calla Lily. The foliage looks too large and wide to me. Callas have more narrow leaves, at least that I know of. Hope that helped.

• bradleyo_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

njoasis - I'm in north central Pa, 1 hour NW of State College. I plan on planting the cast iron but I wanted to get some size on it first. Everyone in the NE along the coast is in our prayers. Hopefully you all pull through Irene and it doesn't do much damage.

nova - I was thinking similarly on the palms, but wasn't sure. Not sure on the microdasys either. I had one that looked like microdasys last year ant choked in our winter. These seem to have flat rather then curved pads. I'm horrible at cactus Id's though. We'll see how it gets through the winter.

The banana doesn't look like my basjoo. This is a pic from the first year. I've always taken pups but it's never gotten this big again.

{{gwi:405754}}

I agree, the calla doesn't appear like most callas. I got it from Joe at Triple Oaks, hopefully he sees one of my posts and can help. I swore the tag said calla but I can't find it now.

• jacklord
    12 years ago

I have two 3 gallon Cast Iron plants in the garden. I stumbled upon them at Home Depot of all places. After a month of so, they both began growing lots of new shoots.

Nice pics.