Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chachacharlie

Plants update August 2011 - PICS

chachacharlie
12 years ago

All plants growing happy, days are in the high 70s, low to mid 80s and sunny with good humidity. Here you can seee my succulents, Agave attenuatas, king palms, arecas, pigmy dates, bougainvilleas, Ti plant "Lilinoi", Phil. Xanadu, Crotons oak leaf, Red Abyssinian banana, Cycads. There is also a small Singapore Plumeria that I just purchased while we were in Maui last month. Let's see how it does in L.A. Most of my plants have Pothos hanging as an accent plant around the perimeter of the container. With the Ti Plant I only use spring water since Tis are VERY fluoride sensitive. Also you can see my Balinese statue (which I got in Bali last year), all mossy and green (love the look!) It is all a container garden.

My new Singapore Plumeria -

Comments (13)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Wow, great pics! I always love to see your yard! Tons of great designing and placement! Every plant really has a purpose. I like what you did with your AC unit. I was thinking of getting some type of wooden fence to block mine, but eventually my plants overcrowded it anyways so you cant see it anymore!

Your Plumeria Obtusa should do fine in Cali. Mine survived an entire winter indoors without any water at all and it came back fine so if mine can handle that, yours can definitely handle good care!

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Very nice plants. But that's not fair. You live in z10. I don't think the inside of my house is a z10. Must be nice. If you mind where are you located?

• chachacharlie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Alex! I wanted to do the same in front of the AC, something to cover the front and block that fugly YORK logo/paneling. Sometime in the near future I hope :)

@ earthworm73, I'm located in Santa Monica, about 1.7 miles from the Pacific.

• andyandy
    12 years ago

Looks Awesome!

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Nice planter garden, great tropical variation. I really like the statue, kind of evil looking. It could be my next tattoo!

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Very nice! You have great plants! I can see the w.robusta palms in the background of the first pic. I really like that palm. They are so common. When I went to san diego they were EVERYWHERE! I love them.
    Also,what is your palm in your first pic?
    Thanks
    -Hunter

• chachacharlie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for looking guys!
    Hunter, the palm in the first pic is a King Palm 'Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana'
    Yes, W. Robusta is everywhere in SoCal, same with Phoenix Canariensis, love that palm, but too big for my container garden ;)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Looks like a nice place to kick back-
    nice view too!

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

You could disguise the AC unit with a bamboo screen. It would fit the theme. Maybe even a long planter with live bamboo kept pruned like a hedge to the top of the AC unit.

Such a cosy urban garden. We're all jealous of your zone 10! I got tired of hauling potted tropicals in every winter. When I discovered hardy palms and bananas my dilemma was solved!

• orchiddude
    12 years ago

Nice, the statues add alot to it.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Any updates? How have the Crotons and Plumeria obtusa done over the last few years?

• shenue
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness...such beautiful plants!
    @earthworm .... ditto! :-)

I live in a condo now and even though I am on the bottom floor and have a screened in porch, it is tiny and I have such a limited amount of space to bring in my plants when Fall gets here. But...wow...I would love to have a place where I could have plants-galore once again. But, I make due with my little 7 x 8 ft. screened in porch, cram it full of plants in the Summer and drag them inside in the Fall. :-)

• chachacharlie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll post an update on my plants later on today. Lots of new things and the old ones have grown a lot!

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company