Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

Pictures of some stuff

jimhardy
12 years ago

I should have put something in the pics for scale,oh well.

I will just have to tell you(happy)

First off,my Basjoo have not done **** with the heat and my lack of interest standing out in it... watering(tongue)

Maybe some before and um,later to start.

Some of you may remember my trunk cut Trachy from April 2010

Looks like this now-

Abyssinian 2 years ago

{{gwi:404319}}

This year-who knew?(wink)

Maybe 12' now-the Brugs(7' or so) are finally loading up with blooms

I bought so many EE's this year,don't remember what this one is off hand-Nancyanna?

Caladium decided to come up in July-forgot I planted them.

My little Takil-one of 3- I planted

working on leaf #6(happy).

Planted Princeps

Green(and very fast growing)form of Nainital.

Banana farm

A.americana-hard to tell but over 3' now.

Few more of the Cactus garden,very rewarding and much less hassle than cold hardy palms up north here.Just for reference,the Y.Aloifolia is about 6'.

Waggie

Brahea (super silver)

C.cerifera

Sabal Louisiana-from Steve(happy)

Blue palms-Princeps,C.ceriferaXvolcano,S.Louisiana

Bizzy,Encephalartos Princeps,2 palms with there heads chopped off are W.filibusta.

Last? but not last,some T.ferns

C.Brownii,without a doubt the fastest growing T.fern I have ever seen!

This one had 6"(they are a couple of feet now) leaves in spring-they can get 20'

Couple of C.cooperi

Almost chest high with a span of 8'

D.Squarrosa,D.Antarctica and Cooperi

Castor plants 8-9'

Finish with the Ventricosum(about 6'),already bigger than the Abyssinian was in it's first year,probably be as tall as the Abyssinian next year-they will make a formidable pair of pillars for the yard.

Comments (11)

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice,Jim! What does waggie mean? Is is part of the trachycarpus family? Also, where are the bananas coming from?(What kind of tree)
    Hard to believe you can keep those all alive in zone 5. Good work! It has definately payed off!
    -Hunter

• chadec7a
    12 years ago

Nice pics, everything is looking good. Love the bananas. I guess I will have to dig mine up every year to get it to bloom?

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Amazing pics! Things have grown a ton! I cant believe how fast this summer went! It seens like a month ago you were showing pics of all your leafless bananas and recovering palms and now here everything is, amazingly tropical!!

If you dont mind me asking, where did you get that amazing looking T. Principes from?
    Love the tree ferns as always, do you think my Dicksonia would give me problems indoors?
    I think you will definitely be getting ripe bananas this year! Iowa grows the best tasting bananas :) Almost as good as the corn!

Hunter, a waggie is just an abbreviation for wagnerianus which is a type Trachycarpus. It looks a lot like the typical windmill palm, but the fronds are really stiff and its a very very cool looking plant when young also! I have to admit, I used to think waggies were such ugly palms, but I really do like them now! They are so interesting looking and some report that it is just as cold hardy as Fortunei and maybe more cold tolerant than young fortuneis (since they are usually a bit more tender in its seedling years!).

Thanks for sharing Jim!!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks ya all-pretends to be from south.

Hunter

As mentioned abbreviation for Trachycarpus Wagnerianus.

Chad

If you can save the "trunk"in ground with protection you
    could get your Nanas to bloom.

Alex

Thanks.

If you can find a humid place for your D.A.it might be o.k.
    They are probably the most tolerant of dry air but...
    still a fern-probably have better luck outside(-:

Will be fun if the bananas ripen-fun anyway(-:

Steve has the best deals on Princeps -FOR SURE!
    Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Princeps

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Jim as always your garden look amazing. But that trunk cut is absolutely stunnig. Hard to believe it was once cut way back and that kinda growth in just two seasons. Those fronds on that thing look nice and thick. Let's pray for a mild winter for all this year so all of our palms get a early start on growth.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I might risk the Dicksonia outside next year. Im a bit worried about it and I dont have a huge amount of shade left, but I might consider it! If it looks rough at the end of the winter indoors, it will definitely be planted outside in the ground come spring, but if it makes it through the winter indoors well, then I think I'll keep bringing it indoors for the winter for now. As for a humid area, I cant say that I can think of one from the top of my head. Maybe the bathroom. I'll figure it out though and one thing I will be doing is giving this T fern a ton of care indoors!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks earthworm

I am going to try something different with the palms this year...
    namely,using a 35/45 Thermocube at least early in the winter.
    Although the palms can take well below freezing,the moisture
    level and repeat freezing has caused them to pull to often.
    My Washys which stay above freezing all winter have no such issues.

Alex

How big is the D.A.?
    Maybe a pebble tray with water would provide enough moisture,
    I kept mine in a plastic enclosure that I mist sprayed.
    You could still plant it out now,they should be leaf hardy to at
    least 25F,possibly 20F(wouldn't risk that one though)so,
    probably as hardy as a Washy in an eastern climate.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

I like everything Jim.Looks like you might actually get some bananas,WOW!!!My local HD had some Tree Ferns,quart size for $5.95.It dident say what kind they were,it just said Tree Fern.I started to get one but I have to many potted plants now.I've always loved to see big Tree Ferns in movies or on nature shows.The movie the last samurai has some hugh ones growing in the woods in that one scene.Which Tree Fern is the most sun tolerant?
    Randy

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Jim,

I cant believe the transformation from the past couple of years...quite amazing on all of your plants..

I love all of the C & S they look so healthy!

The Bananas are unbelievable! I dont see fruit like that here in VB!!

I love the Caladium!!! I have never seen such a beauty!!!

I finally planted my A. Agave this summer!! LOL Finally was tired of bringing it in and out every year. Especially tired of being pierced everytime i moved it. Probably will need to protect it this winter, but that's ok...i could hardly move it anymore...LOL

Love all of the pics and always enjoy looking at your awesome yard!!!

Big fan here!!!

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Jim, the Dicksonia is pretty big. Here is a pic of it as of about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It grew 3 fronds since then!

Im not sure if I would risk it below 30F, but I will definitely be leaving it outside in the coolness of Fall because this is one plant that actually doesnt mind some cooler weather! Im not sure if I have a tray big enough to make much of a difference since its such a big plant. Maybe I can get one of those plastic baths for dogs and put some water in that to add some extra humidity. Its worth a try!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thats a real beauty Alex.

I would not worry about it at all to 25F.
    Even a few degrees lower probably wouldn't hurt it,
    D.A. along with C.Australis are very cold hardy.
    This is one T.fern that will gain some hardiness with cold exposure and...
    since it will probably lose it's leaves inside anyhow....
    why not begin it's training.
    These can survive mid teens if it warms back up
    and cold is not prolonged-they will
    lose their fronds though.
    A larger pot will encourage bigger leaves.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations