Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
August update, and new rock garden

Posted by chadec7a N.C. (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 17:20

Our temps have been in the upper 90's for about 2 months and for the past couple weeks we have been getting regular rain showers. So with some new growth I figured it was time for an update.

Trimmed back some EE's and banana to let light in on one of my windmills.
Photobucket
Same banana and EE's growing like crazy.
Photobucket
These cannas are 7' tall!
Photobucket
Side view of garden.
Photobucket
My lasiocarpa growing well, to bad it didn't bloom.
Photobucket
New birmingham is doing well.
Photobucket
My two princeps are growing new fronds and the smallest one just about has a full crown of spilt fronds.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Traded a musa basjoo for this yucca not sure what kind it is trunk looks to small for faxionia. Any help would be appreciated.
Photobucket
couple other yuccas, up front my bright edge sword, to the right color guard filamentosa, and to the left the green tree yucca is an aloifolia. Agave parryi turncata in the background.
Photobucket
Agave neomexicana sunspot not growing like I wish.
Photobucket
Back of my garden.
Photobucket
View from patio.
Photobucket
These windmills in the frontyard have keep a blueish tint to their fronds. I guess because of the shade that they are in.
Photobucket
Hawaii eye EE will not live in the ground. I had to repot it.
Photobucket
And again today.
Photobucket

Some pics of my new rock garden. I am still working on getting the rocks to border the garden.
Photobucket
My agave lophantha.
Photobucket
Yucca aloiflia variegata, Opuntia, Ferocactus hamatacanthus and Echinocereus triglochidiatus.
Photobucket

Thanks for looking, Hope I didn't lock up anyones computer!

Chad,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: August update, and new rock garden

Everything looks awesome!

Never buy 1 Princeps/Takil when you can buy 2!

They look great!

o

NIce pics!!! Everything grew a ton since your last update! Thanks for sharing! Oh and your yucca is probably Y. Recurvifolia.
-Alex

o

Nice! Your zone 8,right?
I wish I had a lot of tropical plants like yours I could put in the ground. They are so nice!
Im going to be scared about putting my new windmill and my needle in the ground next year in zone 6. It looks like yours are thriving! Do you give them any protection?
Again,Very nice plants!
-Hunter

o

Jim you hit the nail on the head with that one.

Alex thanx for the info on the yucca I'll check it out.

Hunter I am in zone 7a right below Va. I look out at pilot mountain everyday. Just takes time to research and buy the right plants.

o
RE August update, and new rock garden

Lol,right after I posted my message I remembered you have 7a in your name,lol. You must be a warm 7a.

o

Great stuff! love your cannas and bananas. The succulent on the 2nd pic is awesome!

o

chad your garden look beautiful. Dude you have the right to show it off. With conditions like what you've been having for the past 2 months I'm sure your tropicals have been putting on a show. Can't wait to see 'em 2 months from now.

o

Panamajack thanks, not sure which succulent ur referring to. There's alot of agaves in that pic. The cactus and little purple thing I cannot name.

Earthworm thanx, its nice having friends to share with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here