Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new way to combat washingtonia seedlings

Posted by central_cali369 USDA z9b/ Sunset z9 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 18:28

I was cleaning the yard today, and was dreading having to remove the many washingtonia palms that have gone undisturbed for several years. Then it occurred to me that instead of throwing the entire palms away, I could harvest the hearts for eating! it sounds evil! But they are actually quite delicious. I think I will be dealing with washingtonia like this from now on. If you can't beat 'em, you eat'em!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new way to combat washingtonia seedlings

Nice idea. I dont usually like the idea of killing palms, but there are plenty of washingtonias in California and they are not easy to transplant so if they are in the way, better to make some use out of them then to just throw them out!

I'd imagine that harvesting the heart of the palm might be a little difficult though, so Im interested in hearing how it goes!
-Alex

o

Are they even edible? I know palmettos are called cabbage palms because of their cabbage like taste when the heart is cooked. And the Latins are fond of palmito (heart of palm), which likely is a sabal palm or cousin. Are all palm hearts edible?

o

It was quite difficult! at least the first one was. I basically took a saw to all the leaves, and sawed the base clear from the roots, ending up with the "body" of the palms (the palms were no more than 8 inches in diameter at the base). Then I peeled off leaf bases until I reached a starchy, white center, which I then salted and boiled. It tasted somewhat like asparagus with a faint hint of corn. Definitely worth exploring new recipes with them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here