Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant?

Posted by jaynboro 7a TN (jaynboro@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 20:07

Ok, I think I know what y'all will say, but is it too late in the year to plant needle palms? I'm guessing I should wait till spring but hoping i might get a majority different answer.
I found some 15 gallon needle palms today at lowes that were clearanced from $94 down to $23. My buddy saw me checking out this deal and without asking, went to get a buggy! Guess he knows me well.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant?

I do think its a bit too late to plant this year, so I would just keep them in pots for this summer and plant them out next spring. Remember to keep them well watered and bring them in when temperatures start dipping down to the mid to low 20s. You can keep it in an unheated garage after that if you have one. Then sometime right around the last frost date (day temperatures in the 50s and nights in the 40s) you can plant it outside and watch it grow for next summer!

Wish I could tell you that you could plant it now, but it really is best to wait.
-Alex

o

I have bought and planted minors and windmills from them discounted in September with no problems. You would want to protect it this year.

Good luck,

o

I agree,at the very least keep moisture out of the crown.
I have planted Trachys as late as Nov/Dec(with protection)
and not had any problems.
Go ahead and plant it/them. (-:

o

Trachycarpus can be planted later than Rhapidophyllum. Dig a hole and drop the Needle in, pot and all. Next spring, plant it permanently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here