Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dnicebb6

Canary Island Date Palm Problem....

dnicebb6
13 years ago

Hello. I have several two year old CIDPs that I started from seed. They are in 3 gallon pots outside and get full sun every day, I live in central Florida and it has been raining pretty heavily every night lately, but it still gets up to 90F and sunny every day. Two of my 15 palms have died. The leaves on the bottom began turning brown, and then the whole palm turned brown and croked. Today I noticed two more are beginning to turn brown from the bottom up. I have not sprayed any chemicals near them. I have not put any fertilizer on them for over two months. I have not pruned them in two months. I have several other palm species nearby with no effects at all.

Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

Don't be discouraged we will find out an answer. My first thought is they may have been too wet. They need to dry out somewhat between storms - they are from dry climates. Try covering them if you get too much rain.

Also, my date palms started turning yellowish and required a sprinkle of epson salts - date palms need magnesium.

• tropicpalms
    13 years ago

i agree with brooklyn- CIDP's dont like it too wet or to humid... they will rot from the bottom up. they like it more dry and hot or warm. even as seedlings they don't need full sun but im not exactally sure any pics may help. good luck tho. -Justin in VB

• tropicpalms
    13 years ago

i agree with brooklyn- CIDP's dont like it too wet or to humid... they will rot from the bottom up. they like it more dry and hot or warm. even as seedlings they don't need full sun but im not exactally sure any pics may help. good luck tho. -Justin in VB

• User
    13 years ago

Ditto the above posters. Most Phoenix species have an issue with very high humidity and constant wetness. That's because many of them originate in semi-arid or Mediterranean climates where humidity levels are not sustained at high levels (the Canary Islands are rather dry remember). I once received a CIDP from S. Florida and it was covered in these ugly black spots. I figured at the time it was related to the humid climate and didn't make an issue out of it. Sure enough, it grew into normal growth and is now gorgeous. The discoloration you're experiencing won't revert to normal, but new growth will be more normal once your humidity levels drop. Good luck!

• tropicpalms
    13 years ago

sorry my computer lagged or something and posted 2 times and i dont know why hours later haha. anyways yes njoasis i def. agree with you the black spots on the date palms as u said are from high humidity too much constant tropical heat... they can take some for a little but not long. Very nice story tho NJoasis.

• andyandy
    13 years ago

I agree they are desert palms and like hot dry conditions. If possible I would move the survivors out of the rain when possible.

• dnicebb6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I will move them under a covered porch and see what happens.

• andyandy
    13 years ago

When it is not raining, give them as much direct sun as possible. The flip side of being a desert palm is they need as much bright sun as possible.

good luck,
    Andy

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus