Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunter_m_gw

One more banana question!

Hunter_M
12 years ago

I feel wierd posting banana questions on the palm forum but I need this answered.

I just went out to find some of my banana leaves have went down. They look liks they are just hanging down. I have no idea why. Do you know?

Thanks!

-Hunter

Comments (9)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Your soil looks a little dry so that might be a cause. How much water is it getting?
    -Alex

• User
    12 years ago

The peaty soil looks completely dehydrated. Work some humus into the soil. Are you just using MG brand potting mix?--MG brand is ridiculously peaty and repels water--even if you water daily (which is how often you should be watering given warm temps, sun, and given decent soil).

• Hunter_M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You know, the soil does seem dry all of the time. The palm MG soil does good,but this peat moss dosnt. I would replace it,but I dont know what to buy and I dont have any money right now.
    Thanks!
    -Hunter

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

If you cant find the money to get some more soil right now, you can keep the soil you already have, but put a saucer below the pot. That way when you water, some water will remain for the plant to soak up later. Water much more often, and when you get the chance to get some soil, get plain potting soil which will retain water much better without retaining too much water.
    -Alex

• Hunter_M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks,Alex. Actually,the pot dosnt have a hole at the bottom of it. It has some sort of built in thing. I will water much more often. I will also invest in some potting soil.
    Thanks!
    -Hunter

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    12 years ago

Were they recently transplanted? I know sometimes when they are recently transplanted this will happen. That, coupled with dry conditions can make it worse. Bananas suck up LOTS and LOTS of water. In hot weather, its very hard to overwater them. Anyway, either case with lots of water, it will outgrow this. You may not get the leaves that are now bent down, back, but the new leaves should be just fine.

• Hunter_M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well,I had it in the back of a truck from south carolina to virginia and then from virginia to ohio. But that was a month ago.
    Thanks for the advice. Im a little worried about the bananas on it. They are not fully developed yet. Will they be ok?
    Thanks!
    -Hunter

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Bananas like lots of water, but not necessarily soggy.

• islandbreeze
    12 years ago

It's probably a combination of not enough water and windy conditions. My bananas occasionally do this. Especially after storms. Just cut the fallen leaves off. It will regrow new leaves soon enough, and the fewer leaves mean less of a need for water.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert