Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
August 2011 Update of My yard...

Posted by tropicalzone7 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 21:26

It was suppose to be cloudy and rainy today, but we ended up getting a bit of sun (and a lot of humidity to match) so I decided to take a few pics around the yard..

Usually my airplants flower in the Fall, but they decided to bloom early this year.
Photobucket

Ball moss
Photobucket

My tallest and oldest plumeria is making its second bloom ever! The plant is about 7 feet tall, but it leans a bit so its actually a little taller. The flowers are small (compared to other plumerias) and a nice red color. I cant wait for the blooms!

My Plumeria "Pretty Princess" is now becoming a reliable bloomwer! The only problem is that its a late bloomer. Usually if the inflos are very young when they are taken inside, they will bloom well inside, but if the inflos developed outside, they will drop almost as soon as they go inside for the winter.

Plumeria divine

There are inflos on almost every branch of my Plumeria "Divine". Im hoping for a warm September, but usually Divine has no problem blooming well into October.

Painted Lady Hibiscus

Lantanas planted underneath my coconut palm

This desert rose had a really hard time earlier this summer, but after some dieback and leaf drop, it did grow back and now it has at least 20 buds! Heres one of its first blooms! I think this desert rose is called "Rasberry Ice"

The answer to quick papaya growth is plant food. I gave my papaya plant food in late july and it grew 6 inches taller in one week!!

Livistonia in its second summer in the ground and 4th summer in my yard. (Trunk of my Thai Black Banana is to the left and some purple hearts are below it)

Some lantana I planted in the ground

Finally some canna blooms!

This is one of my healthier cannas. I cant wait for this one to bloom! I have no idea of the banana, but they were described as a "Coral" color when I bought them.

Ice cream banana

Windmill palm in its third summer. Its really growing fast this year. I also like how this one has very white undersides unlike my others.

Orchids love being outside!

One of my favorite combo of plants in my yard.

Dicksonia Antarctica and some peace lilies

My windmill palm in its second summer and my camellia "Kramers Supreme". Kramers Supreme is a pretty tender camellia so I will be giving it protection

My Saba and Spiral ginger

Potted Elephant ears

Pool view

Some plumerias

Anyone else with Crape Myrtle "Zuni" notice its a late bloomer? Mine is just making its first blooms of the year now! All the other crapes in my neighborhood have been blooming for weeks now!

Cone flower

Umbrella palm

Sabal minor seeds

Frost Proof Gardenia

Spiral ginger pup.

Brugmansia making its second flush of the year

Thanks for looking!
-Alex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: August 2011 Update of My yard...

Nice as always,Alex! You have so many great plants! I love the blooms on your plumerias! I hope mine makes a bloom soon. I love your windmills and your Ice cream banana!
Awesome plants! Thanks for posting an update!
-Hunter

o

Bravo!!! Quite the showcase you have there Alex!!

o

Love the air-plants.........
also,what color are your Brugs?

Look forward to seeing pics of the flowers(-:

o

Thanks everyone! Jim, the brug flowers are yellow! I love the fragrance on them!
-Alex

o

Looking good, My brugs still haven't bloomed can't believe yours are going on their second. I have a crape myrtle that bloomed this week and one that just set its blooms. So probably will bloom next week. I think mine are behind cause I didn't prune them any this past winter.

o

Thanks Chadec! My first flush of brug blooms only had 3 blooms, but this next flush looks like it will be carrying about 8-12 blooms! I hear they go until fall though so it might have a really nice, heavy set of blooms before frost!
My crape will also probably be in bloom by next week (probably this coming weekend).
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here