Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My other Palms in Va Beach!

Posted by tropicpalms Va Beach 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 21:26

Heres some of my other palms i couldn't fit on the other post so i added them to this one! hope you like them i will be getting more nice rare palms soon and i will be sure to post pics. i am also building a huge greenhouse this next month so we will see how that goes! thanks again to you all, Really! -Justin in Vb

Dioon Spinulosm first growth of the year:
Photobucket
Newest growth 2nd time this summer:
Photobucket
Photobucket
1 of my sago palms in the island area:
Photobucket
my oyster plant,(moses in cradle)i brought back a few years ago from Mexico:
Photobucket
30gal. Canary Island Date:
Photobucket
Photobucket
30gal. Phoenix Sylvestris:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
30gal. Phoenix Dactylifera:
Photobucket
Photobucket
my little sea grape i accidentaly left outside til january and the roots lived and all that is new growth, im glad its not dead!
Photobucket
little sucker pup agave americana:
Photobucket
my bottle palm that took a beating last winter and is starting to come back nicely.
Photobucket
Madagascar Palm:
Photobucket
Chamaedorea Microspadix - Bamboo Palm (Mexico)
Photobucket
small fishtail opening:
Photobucket
Angled Pindo:
Photobucket
Dypsis Leptocheilos - Teddy Bear Palm at an angle starting to curve.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
little 7gal. full Chusan windmill:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Manila/Christmas Palm:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Dypsis Decaryi - Triangle Palm
Photobucket
starting to form a trunk:
Photobucket
7gal. Travelers Palm
Photobucket
Mexican Fan in pot:
Photobucket
Quad. Trachy:
Photobucket
rough/natural trunk:
Photobucket
Cleaned trunk:
Photobucket
Areca Vestiaria - Orange Crownshaft Palm (Maroon form)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Chambeyronia Macrocarpa - Flamethrower Palm:
Photobucket
Photobucket
2 Different style Pindo Palms:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Gaussia Maya - Maya Palm
Photobucket
little majesty i have had for years:
Photobucket
Little silver Pindo:
Photobucket
Photobucket
another of travelers palm
Photobucket
Photobucket
Fishtail
Photobucket
Chubby 4' Washingtonia:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Phoenix Dacty. flowering:
Photobucket
Borneo Giant Upright Elephants:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
oleander:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My other Palms in Va Beach!

• Posted by knotz 8/PNW SWWA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 0:06

Those are FANTASTIC!!!...I'd LOVE to have a Travelers Palm but not sure they would grow here :(

Well done!!

o

Beautiful palms!!! They all look really great and very healthy! Your yard is looking extremely tropical! Thanks for sharing!!
-Alex

o

I really enjoy seeing what you have accomplished and one of the great feats is that you have done this in Virgina Beach. I like the idea of a big greenhouse for potted palms to overwinter and the technique of planting a palm on an angle. Where on earth did you buy all these palms?

I also would still keep in mind some cold protection ideas just in case some artic air ever dips your way. I would perhaps delay cleaning the trunks of washys and other palms until they had a full year to establish and thus be more cold tolerant.

If you still have room, how about a potted coconut palm? I grew a real large one in a pot here in NYC.

o

Looking good!
What a collection!-
and we get to watch your dog grow up,I
feel like I have known him since he was a pup!
Looks like he's waiting for coconuts in the pic with your CC-nut palm.
What kind of banana is that in the second to last picture?

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o

What a great collection. You seem to like all the palms that I like!

o

Damn! I have never heard of a couple of those

o

Thank you all for the very nice comments! i appreciate them all. knotz-what part of washington do u live in?
Brooklyn- thanks again... yeah i was born in my mothers house here in va beach and still live in va beach. i got tired of seeing her house with the same landscaping as everyone else bushes and shrubs also huge trees, too many...anyway especially when i love palms so i changed her yard. I will start the greenhouse soon its kinda in my head haha. i bought the palms all over some down south personally, some e-bay, some online nurseries, friends. I definitely agree with you totally about the cleaning the trunks, i mainly did that washingtonia becase the trunk was sooo messed up anyway i couldnt look at it any longer. I will definitely have many cold protection methods eespecially the first few years, trust me i will have mrs laura's help for protection hesr are perfect as everyone has seen!
My dogs name is Irie (jamaica...) and she is 71/2 months english retriever. shes always around with me everywhere obsessed with outside life.thanks jimhardy she has grown sooo fast! the banana is musa orinocco.
i have a huge list of palms i want soon as im sure many of us do! so ill keep you posted thanks again for the comments! -Justin in VB

o

hey Justin your palms and backyard paradise looks great all you need is Jimmy buffet to show up. =-) anyhows where did you get the seagrapes?I fell in love with them every since me and my wife had our honeymoon in u.s.v.i.

o

hi Justin,

I like dogs as well. This is funny. I saw an add with that name that read
"Jamaica me crazy"

PS. Laura if you see this, the hardy hibiscus is blooming an incredible burgundy-red. Can you believe it grow so fast!

o

Justin,

Everything looks great!!!

Greg,

I'm glad you have blooms this summer!!! They really do grow quite fast and have beautiful flowers!!! Great news my friend!!!

Hope all is well Brooklyn!!!

Laura in VB

o

Wow, looks alot like somewhere around my area!!!:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here