Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aajb29

Coconut Palm Tree Tips

aajb29
18 years ago

Hello,

I am trying to grow a 10-inch coconut palm tree up North but the tips of the leaves are brown (and the tops of a couple of leaves are a little brownish in spots) and have been brown since I first got the palm about 2 months ago. It is getting plenty of sun and humidity and is planted in well draining soil with sand mixed in. Any advice on how to make my palm healthy would be appreciated.

Comments (43)

• andyandy
    18 years ago

aajb29-
    I also got about a 10 inch coconut this spring and had the same browning of the leaves. I believe it is because I used supplemental artificial light to help it grow (which it did)I also put it out in direct sun as soon as it got hot here (2nd week of June). I have recently found out that I should have given it filtered light for a couple of weeks and then set it out in direct sunlight. My plant's tallest frond is now about 28" tall. It has a new one catching up fast that began in July after the plant had been outside for a month. The new frond has none of the browing that the others did. Perhaps yours got too much sun too early. Is your plant growing? Does it have new fronds since you purchased it? Perhaps the new growth is more healthy. I will also add that while I did have browning at the top, the balance of the frond looks very healthy and kept growing rapidly. I hope this helps. Andy

• aajb29
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Andy, My palm is growing and a new frond has grown too (but it has a little brown in the tip). I put it out in the sun as soon as I received it. Should I put it in the shade for part of the day from now on? Thanks.

• andyandy
    18 years ago

aajb29-
    This is my first coconut, so I am by no means an expert, but I would say at this point just leave it out. I'm not sure where you live but if it's up north like me we may only have 4-6 weeks to leave it out. I suspect that your plant at this point is aclimated to the sun. My newest frond started since I set my palnt outside and has no browning. I would suggest that before you set it out next summer that you leave it in a spot where it will get filtered sun for a couple of weeks and then put it in full sun. I came accross a gentlemen by the name of Ron in one of these forums. he has been growing a coconut in Chicago for 9 years. I would seek his advise. his e-mail is rwallen1961@yahoo.com Good luck

• gw:angel-fl
    18 years ago

I'm barely new to Northen Florida and the coldest it gets here is in the 30's. Does any body have a coconut tree that has survived that kind of weather and how did you protected??

• andyandy
    18 years ago

Angel-
    I'm from Michigan but I've done my research. I grow a coconut in a pot and move it out in the summer and I can tell you I've never let it sniff overnight lows below 50. They really do not like nights in the 40s let alone the 30s. There is a dwarf type that is a little more cold tolerant but even that would be in trouble up there. You could grow one in a pot. You would only have to move it probably starting in November-December and back out in March. I have to move mine in by October and then back out in June.

• gw:angel-fl
    18 years ago

Andy,
    for what I have seen in South Florida is tha they grow very tall. How old is yours and how tall?
    But I will try it.

Thanks.

• andyandy
    18 years ago

Angel-
    Mine is about four feet tall. When I got it last April it was about 10 inches tall. I have a "Pacific Tall" which is a very fast grower. There are several dwarf varieties that don't grow quite so fast. Yes they do eventually get very tall and indeed mine may be too tall by the end of next summer to move back in my house. I intend to give it to someone in Fort Lauderale at that point. I'm hopeing to get the summer of 2007 also. You could do the same thing. if you know someone in southern Florida that would like one you could take a road trip and visit them. I am an impatient grower and my coconut is my favourite because here in January I still see steady growth. it will only accelerate as days get longer. So I say gor for it. They really look cool coming out of the nut.

• scaldude
    18 years ago

Angel,

I grew a coco-palm here in Southern California for two years and I will get night temps in the high 30's for a week or so during the winter. The average high temp is in the low 60's. Mine died when I brought it inside because of contruction work being done to my balcony. Go figure. You can put a large trash-bag over your plant at night for protection.

SCalDude

• scaldude
    18 years ago

Correction: "The average NIGHT temp is in the low 60's"

• sunnycheeks
    17 years ago

Brought back some small coconuts that i picked on the beach in the Dominican Republic. The bartender on the beach said they would grow.
    Was wondering if anyone has grown one from a coconut before? and how? They are small, about 4 inches and look like green acorns.

• cfkingfish
    17 years ago

Here are a few good tips I use when I work with Coconuts:

-They always enjoy full sun.
    -Coconuts are good down to 32F, and there are some which have survived temps supposedly as low as 20F for a short period in Cocoa Beach, FL. This is by no means a norm - all of the Coconuts died except a couple, which still live to this day I believe.
    -The more "dwarf" a coconut variety is, the more Lethal Yellow resistant it is in general, but they are more cold sensitive. The Jamaica/Panama Tall varieties are a bit more cold hardy - there are still a few beautiful ones at the park from 5-15th Ave and Ocean in Miami Beach.

-I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a coconut only 4 inches in diameter is just too small to form a mature embryo. You want ones that range from 10-22 inches or so, and have just fallen from the tree. The brown ones are usually the most viable - just shake them to make sure the water is still inside.

-The best way to plant them is "flat" side down in half sand/half soil, and let them bake in the sun. 85F or more is optimal, and they can take up to a year to germinate. More water/more heat = more growth.

- One last thing - Coconuts do not like any extended period where the soil temperature is below 60F - this is the reason they are essentially impossible to grow in SoCal.

• palmguy_s
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this.
    Does anyone have any other advice for growing coconut
    palms in southern california?

• chachacharlie
    16 years ago

scaldude.....you coco died? the one u had in a wine barrel? :(

• scaldude
    16 years ago

No, she's doing well, although the fronds are slow to feather (the thread along the edge stays connected after new fronds grow-in), but they are pinnate when they finally do.

The size of the current fronds are smaller that the original leaflets when I bought it, which "bum me"...I don't know if it's because of the growing conditions at the nursery, or it's trying to acclimate somehow to it's new environment???

I don't know...LOL...but it's OK

• andyandy
    16 years ago

Could it be getting potbound? What happened to USC, Ohio State beat Washington by about 3 touchdowns I think. Go Cal! I want Cal's coach in Ann Arbor next year.

• scaldude
    16 years ago

Pot-bound in a wine barrel????? Good God, I hope not...LOL

JUST WIN, BABY! Yeah, it was ugly, but they were in control despite all the turnovers...the only team that can beat USC right now, is USC (and they tried to help Washington as much as they could).

BTW, who designed those U of M helmets anyway, a 1st grader with masking tape & sissors??? Uggg$&*#$@...sorry, gag reflex.

• andyandy
    16 years ago

Don't be dissin the Flying Winged Helmets. My old Highschool has the same uniforms. If you don't think that Cal or Oregon CAN beat USC you're crazy. I'm not saying they will but they have the talent.

• scaldude
    16 years ago

I'll take some cocos pics when I return home from San Diego.

You're right, there's alot of talent in the PAC 10, look what UCLA did to SC last year...who honestly saw that coming? SC is famous for their half-time tactical adjustments, but has trouble reversing self-imposed "mental" meltdowns; that's their biggest threat.

The competition level is soaring in college football, just ask Appalachian State...oops, did I say that outloud?

• andyandy
    16 years ago

What would you have me say? We'll never be able to live Ap. State down (especailly since they lost to a team in their conference and are only ranked 5th now in Div. 1-AA

• frmmi
    16 years ago

to me the coconut palms at miami beach looked yellow. Is that lethal yellowing?

• andyandy
    16 years ago

Scaldude-
    Check out my post. Yay Jim Harbough!

• ksmmade
    16 years ago

HEY i got 7 coconuts from acapulco,guerrero mx
    but i live in central texas
    i have panted my coconuts with sand and salt as told so by the people of mexico
    my ? is it get pretty cold ans with get ice down here how can i keep my
    coconuts seeds safe from the cold?

• andyandy
    16 years ago

Ksmmade-
    You can not grow them outside this time of year. You would need to pot them and move them outside when weather allows. Average temperatures less than mid 60s outdoors is a death sentance.

• cwbjr
    15 years ago

LIVING IN SOUTHEAST FLORIDA WITH A CLEARED HALF ACRE LOT ADJACENT TO MY HOME WHICH I WOULD LIKE TO USE TO PROPAGATE COCONUT, ROYAL AND DATE PALMS, ALL OF WHICH ARE GROWING CURRENTLY HERE BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS, ...NOT KNOWING WHAT IS BEST FOR THE COCONUT SPROUTING OR HOW TO SPROUT DATE AND ROYAL PALMS OR HANDLE THE IMMATURE PLANTS ONCE GROWN. ANY DIRECTION OR INPUT WOULD HELP.

• mymike
    15 years ago

Hi! I am looking for the max 5 feet coconut palm tree able to grow in a pot (the information was given by requester), can somebody to contact me at sinceritybuyer@gmail.com.

Regards,

Sincerity Buyer

• susanbrian
    14 years ago

You should definitely put it in some shade in the beginning exposing it to more light every week. Putting it out in full sun was causing a lot of stress for your Coconut Palm Tree.

Below is an article on how to take care of Coconut Palm Tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coconut Palm Tree

• us_marine
    14 years ago

Has anyone tried to grow one on catalina island? I seen 5 or 6 different maps that put it in zone 10b/11. Maybe if it can trunk on that island it may fruit. I kinda doubt it but who knows. Maybe after a few generations the palm can naturalize to SouCal's climate, making it much hardier. I think it would take years for it to work, but its worth a try or two? What do you guys think?

• chachacharlie
    14 years ago

Hey us_marine...honestly, I don't think we'll ever be able to successfully grow coconut palms in CA. I was in my native Panama a few weeks ago and while I was there, I thought to myself, this weather is nothing like California's. High 80's to low 90's daily, mid 70's at night - all year. The heat, the high humidity, the year-round high sun, the torrential downpours....California's weather is just too soft and gentle. If we want to see coconut palms in the U.S, we'll have to travel to Hawaii, South Florida or Puerto Rico. That's that. I do have an indoor coconut palm growing here in San Francisco which I've had for 3 years and its doing pretty good. I will take some pics and post them. With A LOT of care and love, you can grow one indoors. I think Catalina Island is too cool for cocos since it's influenced by the California current and the cool North Pacific waters. Plus, it's also too dry; these palms would dry up and die in the summer. I guess if you have a backyard you can try and with a lot of TLC, I think you can get it to grow VERY slowly. But it will never fruit.

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

i think it could survive, but it would need constant attention. Catalina island is much cooler than even coastal california. It would need to be near a building and probably have heating cables on days below 60-65. Alot of days dont get much above that so the cables would have to be on alot. Also it would probably need a pool or lake to increase humidity. A heated pool would probably make a really good microclimate for a coco on catalina because the water would increase humidity and the temperature of the water would probably increase the temp by a few degrees. It would also need to be really well watered.

Its a good experiment though and probably worth a try for those willing to care for it, but I dont think it would ever naturalize. Coconuts in california actually remind me alot of growing palm in the north. Its a challenge, but also very possible.

• us_marine
    14 years ago

Any ideas on how to create a frost free micro-climate?

• linda63_gardener
    13 years ago

Just returned from the Keys with 3 freshly fallen brown coconuts with milk inside. They are currently soaking for a 3 day period. Confused about how to plant them, as I have read 3 different ways: Pointy end down, on the side, or the end where it was attached to the mother palm down. Which is the most successful way? I will be using a 50/50 mix of sand/potting soil. Any help would be appreciated.

• blane1011
    12 years ago

Can anyone tell me where I can get a suitable coconut to plant?

• goodlistener
    12 years ago

Bought mine on Ebay. 3/4 ft palm for like $12.95+shipping

• GreenTwilight
    8 years ago

Make sure to not overwater it during the winter, as this can lead to root rot.In the summer constantly mist the fronds daily and provide enough moisture in the soil during 95f+ weather.Also, a light and high draining soil mix is preferred with a generous amount of container space.Make sure to protect from the Santa Ana winds and extreme sun.

• London Anderson( Los Angeles/ Orange County )
    8 years ago

is it ok to cover the coconut seed in soil?

• GreenTwilight
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Normally, I like to bury them about half way into the soil.

8 years ago

oh ok. Do you think it can survive in zone what ever 45 degrees and up is as long as I give it good humidity during summer?

• bdhbfdb
    8 years ago

Depends on many factors. They do not need humidity and do just fine in tropical deserts as long as they are irrigated. The limiting factors would be water, unless you are going to irrigate, and temps. Its not always the cold that kills them, its the extended cool season or lack of heat. If your climate has highs above 70f in every month then you should be good to go. The warmer the better.

8 years ago

ok cause the summer high is like 86-90 and winters high is 63-75. At night ill take them inside

8 years ago

At what age does the coco palm split away from its coconut?