Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting a Palm tree?

Posted by beaver007 ZN 5B (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 21, 06 at 22:57

A friend and I were talking about my Palm trees today and he popped a question on me that left me speechless.
His question is not species specific but only applies to tall trunking varieties, Here it goes.
What happens to a tall growing trunking type palm tree when you cut them in half? Do they form branches like a corn plant or do they die?
I cant say that I have ever heard any mention of what does happens. so I guess that becomes my question too.
So what does happen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting a Palm tree?

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 21, 06 at 23:14

They become dead telephone poles. Do not do this. I repeat, do not do this. Unless you want to carve tikis out of the trunks...

o

any palm that suffers major damage to the top is almost always a gonner...

split in half is definetly a gonner :)

o

• Posted by unautre 8B San Antonio TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 22, 06 at 4:54

To get technical, solitary palms have meristematic activity only at the apical spear, unlike other plants or clumping palms that can grow new plant material at many different places.

When the meristem cells are killed (eg, cut off, lightning,) or die (old age, infections), the plant is not necessarily dead, but cannot grow anymore, so when the current foliage is exhausted/expires, the plant dies.

meristem definition from M-W Unabridged:

a formative plant tissue made up typically of small essentially isodiametric cells lacking prominent vacuoles and capable of an indefinite number of divisions and giving rise to initiating cells that remain meristematic and to derivatives that undergo differentiation to produce the various tissues and organs of the plant, all postembryonic growth depending ultimately on the proliferation of meristematic cells compare CAMBIUM

o

That said, you may get one palm in a thousand that DOES resprout from a decapitated trunk, and the likelihood of that happening seems to vary from one species (or genus) to another.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here