Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Colour in palms

tropicbreezent
11 years ago

I have this Ptychosperma burretianum sitting in a pot for a couple of years because I never seem to be able to decide on where to plant it. So it tends to be forgotten and left in amongst a few other forgotten plants. But today walking past I noticed it had put out a new frond.

Comments (18)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pitty I didn't see it when it first emerged they are a darker red and then slowly turn green.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close up of leaflets.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    had to look that up in my handy palm guide

Color in palms is always welcome!! Couple of ?? since you live in Australia. Are you familiar with Siphokentia beguinii?? Was surprised at the temp tolerance and a dead ringer for a Coconut Think it's endemic to Japan
    another. Microsorum thailandicum so called "Jade fern"
    Is it aquatic,amphibious or just likes lots of water?? lol Thanks gary

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Beautiful color on that palm. I really like palms that have nice color to it. I have a blue med fan palm and a Silver serenoa, both in the ground year round and the color of their leaves are a nice change.
    Bismarkias will always be one of my favorite colored palms!
    -Alex

• catkim
    11 years ago

You must have a lot of palms to forget that pretty little thing. :-) I confess I am not familiar with it.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Garry, I had to check Siphokentia beguinii. It's a synonym of Hydriastele beguinii. Comes from the Moluccas, Indonesia. Maybe you were thinking of another one, perhaps Beccariophoenix alfredii or madagascariensis. They're considered look-a-likes/substitutes for coconut in cooler climates (without the novelty of having coconuts falling on your head killing you). They come from Madagascar.

Alex, I've got a few Silver Bismarkias. One's just getting to trunking size, another about half way there, and the last is still small. All the same age though. It's amazing the differences in different parts of the garden.

Catkim, I'd like to have a $ for every palm and palm seedling I have on my place. I could buy quite a lot more palms, LOL. It's crowded in amongst a few others (including a Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus which also has red emergent fronds). So until they do something special to draw my attention, like throw up a red frond as a stop light, I don't notice.

I also have some Chamaedorea deckeriana which put out new bronze fronds. And can't wait for my Chambeyronia "Flamethrowers' to get big enough to put on a display. The Kerriodoxa elegans has black petioles, white underneath and green on top, fan fronds. There's certainly more to palms than just fronds swaying in the breeze.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gary, sorry I overlooked your question on the Jade fern. I'm not familiar with it but looked it up. From what I read it needs a high humidity and always damp environment, not actually aquatic. But I've no actual experience with it.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    I'll have to check again on the palm apparently i wrote down the wrong name lol. Was endenmic to the Ryuku islands
    Was mentioned as a substitue for Coconut due to it's cold tolerance. had survived 25 degree winters with no apparent damage. Would seem like a good choice for those in more temperate climates but still want the look of a coconut.
    i bought a M. thailandicum at a show several years ago
    and they called it a "Jade " fern. I've kept it in an outdoor terrarium for several years where it did fine until recently. Rather than grow up and keep the gorgeous turquoise color it has turned dark green and has spread fronds less than 3 inches.
    I have transplanted it to a pot with long fibered sphagnum putting it in dense shade near my swamp garden .
    It responded by spreading further lol
    i keep several members of the family but they are either aquatic of amphibious at least . I'm tempted to give it a LOT more water lol Thanks gary

• catkim
    11 years ago

I flipped through a few garden pix for some colorful palms.

Calyptrocalyx, not sure which

Pinanga maculata

Calyptrocalyx leptostachys

Pinanga sylvestris

Areca vestiaria 'maroon'

...and the pride of my garden, Lemurophoenix halleuxii

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gary, I checked and came up with 2 contenders:
    Clinostigma savoryanum
    Satakentia liukiuensis

I liked what I saw of the Jade Fern when I searched it. Wouldn't mind having that growing through my rainforest garden. But there might be a bit too much wind there and dry air during the dry season. Probably, putting in a small waterfall could do the trick. (Another project for me in my 'spare time' LOL.)

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Catkin
    I"ve seen pix of full grown Lemurophoenix even more beautiful The trunks are particularly impressive. Though they get gigantic I suspect very slow growing??
    Tropic i built a "seep wall" in my GH to grow these types of fern. but lost the entire thing during a winter cold front. If interested in "metallic " or "glow in the dark" such as the thailandicum check out the Neo tropical family of Elaphoglossum. two outstanding ones are E. herminieri even bluer and larger with a pendant habit. . Metallicum wwhich glows a coppery color. have to be careful as many members of the fanily are high altitude lithophytes so can't handle heat but those two grew for me with some winter protection and a constant source of indirect moisture
    have found a person who is GH growing a thailandicum and he swears ther are obligate limestone lithophytes but growing has not been my problem just the" habit"
    Also said that his get over 18 inches tall while mine has never topped 12 inches maybe I'll seek out a piece of limestone lol gary.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Catkim, looks like our posts crossed and I didn't go back to look after putting up mine. There's some really beautiful palms amongst your photos. Just a little while back I bought 4 Calyptrocalyx. One I suspect isn't. Looks a lot like a Verschaffeltia splendida but without the spines. Was labelled Calyptrocalyx archiboldianus. That's a synonym for Calyptrocalyx lauterbachianus, but it looks entirely different. I like Calyptrocalyx but have to be careful placing them. Our dry season is hot with low humidity. The only Pinanga I have is coronata. That Lemurophoenix looks great, I'd love to get one of those.

Gary, from all reports, you shouldn't have any problem getting limestone where you are. Yes, high altitude plants are pretty much impossible here as well.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Some palms have colorful seed, too

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

but for palm color, I chose this Dictyocaryum lamarkium... wow!!

• catkim
    11 years ago

Are those Howea seeds? The color on the Dictyocaryum lamarckianum is a nice shock to the eyes. Looks like Hawaii, would that be Dean's place? I just planted 6 of those on the shoulder of a lava tree feature, fairly close together so the somewhat thin crowns will overlap, and the viewer will be looking up at the staggered blue crownshafts -- some years down the road. I don't know how long it takes for these to trunk.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That Dictyocaryum lamarckianum is really spectacular looking, but unfortunately being a high altitude cloud forest plant it just wouldn't stand a chance in my equatorial lowland climate. There's always some sort of a 'fly in the ointment'.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Well, they seem fairly well adapted to the Hawaiian climate (at least not the 'right-along-the-coast' climates). Multiple growers have this palm doing well in their collections.. this particular specimen was photographed 4 years ago at the Lundquist garden (belongs to someone else now)... the photo does not do it justice... incredible colors! The other photo is here in California and yes, Howea seed.

There are a lot of colorful palms in the tropical zone

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

more colorful seed here in So California... Chamaedorea microspadix

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida