Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will a Potato Vine Climber Hurt my Canary Island Date Tree?

Posted by rozegardener Z9 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 23:47

Hi. I have a Canary Island Date tree that I love, because it's beautiful, and a home to many birds and some squirrels. It's right outside my living room window, and I look at the huge trunk from inside. I've planted some roses about at the drip line, and a few smaller plants inside the drip line, peruvian lilies, canna, calla. All are happy. I would love to plant a Potato Vine to climb the trunk, and hide the big bulging mass of (dead?) roots that are at the bottom of the trunk. I wouldn't want to do anything if it might hurt the date palm. A horticulturist told me I could just cut a hole right in those (dead? ariel?) roots and plant it right next to the trunk. But I decided to get a second opinion. The CIDP is about 60 years old, and seems perfectly healthy to me. It would sure look great with a potato vine growing up it's 20 feet of trunk. I live in Santa Cruz, CA. Maybe I should trim away the roots at the bottom of the trunk, above the ground, so that it's the same diameter as the rest of the trunk, and then just plant in the ground next to the trunk? That would look even better. The potato vine is in a 5 gallon pot and I would have to dig a hole twice as wide. Thank you. - Roze (loves trees; doesn't know much about them) PS: How long do date palms live?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will a Potato Vine Climber Hurt my Canary Island Date Tree?

I dont think that a potato vine could damage such a strong palm, or any palm. Dont damage or cut back any of the palms roots though because that would be bad for the palm. Date palms can live for a very long time, at least 100 to 200 years. Ive seen some over 100 feet tall and those are definitely at least a century old. But lightning strikes can kill really really tall date palms, but they have to be a lot taller than any else around it to become a prime target.
Hope it works out!
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here