Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindenska

Palm I.D.

lindenska
11 years ago

So I was at a big box store again tonight. I saw this palm and i haven't seen before...

I decided to ask, against my better judgement. Little did I know what would follow. The girl calls a guy over to tell me more about it.

Me: Hi, I was wondering if you knew what palm that is?

Employee: Yea, thats a Dracena.

Me: Oh ok, I thought it was some kind of palm.

Employee: Nope, its a dracena, just like that one. (He points to a majesty palm). It is just bigger though.

Me: Oh, I see.

Then he begins to tell me about the dinosaur plant (sago palm).

So now that brings me to you guys. What is it? I checked the companys site, nothing seems to fit. What kind of palm is it or do we have a dracena in disguise?

Comments (19)

• lindenska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

more

• lindenska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

more

• lindenska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

more

• lindenska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

we can't edit posts?

Is it a triangle palm?

Btw, tag said it needed medium light

• Bob_in_AZ__Z9
    11 years ago

Hi. Looks like a Fishtail palm. Caryota spp.

• lindenska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

great work bob. i see the resemblance...

http://www.junglemusic.net/palmadvice/edited/Fishtail%20leaflets,%20C.%20urens.JPG

Anyone try these inside?

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Caryotas have bipinnate leaves, the one in the photo definitely doesn't. My first impression was Foxtail, Wodyetia bifurcata, I'd say it definitely is.

• ericthehurdler
    11 years ago

i think tropicbreezent nailed it
    did you buy it?

• User
    11 years ago

Your first mistake was asking staff for help with something alive.

The palm is a Foxtail, Wodyetia as identified above. Good indoor palm.

• wetsuiter
    11 years ago

Yes, fish tail palm. No, you can't edit your posts. Major short coming if this website/forum.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

No, not a fishtail palm.. .Foxtail palms (multiple)

• RichardC7
    11 years ago

I would say its too early to tell. Obviously they almost look identical (when young) and have similar names. I'd say just pot it and wait. either way you got the beauty!

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

No, certainly not too early to tell. Caryota have bipinnate leaves forming well before they reach the size of those plants in the photos. And you can clearly see them in the photos on the Jungle Music link quoted in the post above.

• User
    11 years ago

I have seen foxtails sold in pots of three at HD and L's and Caryota (Fishtails) are naturally clumping. I agree that Fish tails have bipinnate leaves but this picture has been bothering me and I can see the reason for the confusion. Is it possible that what we have planted in this pot is two Foxtails and one Fishtail? The taller palm in the center seems noticeably paler green in color-- Foxes tend to be a much deeper green. Also, look how the leaves are divided on the taller palm in the 3rd picture presented. It does look different than on the other two. My conclusion, I think we have a mix and match planting here!

• steve0910
    11 years ago

Definitely foxtail...all three. No doubt.

• User
    11 years ago

Center palm still looks like a Fishtail to me. If the center one is a Foxtail, why are the leaves divided like that? The other two, which are definitely Foxes, are not split. My Foxes don't look like the center palm but some of the fronds on my Fishtail do.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Definitely not Fishtail. By that size they're all well and truelly bipinnate. I have several clumps of Fishtails, from 5 metres tall down to 0.5 metres (plus dozens of bird spread seedlings, they're terribly invasive). They show their distinctiveness quite early.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

I have 2 foxtail palms, one about the size as the ones in these pics, one about 13 feet tall. The younger one looks exactly like the one in this pic and the older one is begining to look a bit more like what you'd expect a true foxtail palm to look like. But the palm in this picture is definitely a foxtail palm.
    Fishtail palms have many more leaflets. They dont even look like palms at that age!
    -Alex

• aloyzius
    11 years ago

I have two young foxtails in my yard that look exactly like this. The coloring, the leaves, the white residue, the black fuzz. It's exactly the same. I went and looked just now and I even have a couple split leaves. I just wish I could get my cat to stop using the trunks as a scratching post.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County