Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wetsuiter

A few other surprises in the South Bethany Beach area

wetsuiter
11 years ago

The other day I posted pics of a pretty impressive pindo in the garden that a landscaper friend of mine installed a few years ago. There were a few other surprises that day.

Nice grouping of sabal minors out front of the house with lots of seeds developing.

There were lots of these little guys popping up all over the place. The owners had no idea that they were baby palms. They had been pulling them up thinking they were weeds/ grasses. They vowed not to pull them up any more!

{{gwi:1162179}}

This clump of needle palms in front of the back stairway stands nearly 6' tall and is really dense.

Closer inspection revealed seeds and a young needle seedling to the right. It was my understanding that needles are very difficult to get to seed and that seedlings are very tender. We checked all around the bunches of palms and there were mature seeds all over the trunks.

{{gwi:1162182}}

We counted at least two dozen seedlings. Again the owners didn't even notice the seeds or the seedlings. We convinced them that the seedlings were extra special because they don't reproduce as easily as the minors up front.

{{gwi:1162185}}

Some Spanish Moss on Rick's Live Oak at his house. It has been growing well this summer and even flowered for him. I didn't even know that moss flowered!

This bunch of moss on a crape myrtle is well over two feet long and is growing down to the ground.

This sago is not far from the clients who have the big pindo, big needles, etc. While not exceptionally impressive, it apparently has been in the ground for three winters without protection.

Thanks for viewing.

Comments (4)