Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lloyds_house

Alexander Palms. help

lloyds_house
10 years ago

On the coast of WA, bought 3 palms from a reputable whole saler close by.(luscious and green) We had to do a small amount of cutting to some of the root balls due to their previous locations. Trimmed off at least a third of the foliage ready for shock from relocation and set them in place with stakes and straps. The next night we had extreme winds which shredded the remaining leaves, leaving them either snapped or left to turn brown. 2 months along and they all still have their centre stem that is currently a light green colour. Any remaining leaves are brown and looking unhealthy. I have a reticulation system setup but have not needed it due to the amount of rain we have been getting, but if they look under watered I can boost the level they get.
From the picture provided, does this indicate whether they are getting too much or too little water???

The soil they are in now is not as pour us as their previous location, so depending on the information people may have, I may widen the holes for the root balls and add some sand and possibly some water loving plants.

I would be very great full for any helpful hints to keep these beauties going.

Comments (23)

• bradleyo_gw
    10 years ago

Looks like transplant shock/root damage to me. Most palms don't like root pruning. Just interested, why would you plant a queen, when trachies and other palms would do so well there? I wouldn't think a queen would have a prayer there.

• lloyds_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

3 nice palms, $50 each. they were doing fine at his place.
    I like the look of them.

Is there anything I could do to help them?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

All the Archontophoenix species hate to be transplanted. Most die. All you can do is keep soaking wet,use some vitamin B-1. and hope for the best. Good luck- they are beautiful palms.

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Ditto on the dying comment. These are one of the worst palms to transplant and unless very large, undisturbed rootballs are taken, 99.99% will die. But since these actually had their roots messed with, I will go out on a limb and say they will die for sure. They look 99% dead already. Look for their trunks to start collapsing inward (takes about 1-2 weeks for most Archontophoenix, sometimes 3). That is a sign they are indeed gone.

• lloyds_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

any recommendations to source B1? particular fertilizers?

the trunks still sound very solid, so I will have to try. ill increase the water intake and can only watch on and if need be, pull the pin at a later date

• bradleyo_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry, I didn't even notice the title. I though it was a queen, either way, sorry to say, prepare for death. I would think that archontophoenix has as much chance of surviving 1 winter in coastal WA as the Steelers winning 27 Super Bowls in a row.

• islandbreeze
    10 years ago

Bradleyo, I believe the location is Western Australia.

• bradleyo_gw
    10 years ago

Aaahhhh! I assumed Washington. My bad!

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Where abouts along the coast are you?

• lloyds_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Waikiki, south of Rockingham.

Picture is from the day they went in.. im confused that people say you cant grow them here, the bloke I bought them off had heaps. even plants from Madagascar.

the point of the topic is I know im on the back foot with these and if someone has constructive hints, im all ears. stating the obvious doesn't give these trees a chance.

I was reading that people use seasol to treat shock in some circumstances?

• bradleyo_gw
    10 years ago

I posted that you shouldn't be able to grow them here because WA here is short for Washington, the Pacific NE state known for a cool climate. It sounds from people in the know they are likely dead. The only suggestion I would have otherwise is Superthrive, B1 and lots of water. I think cutting the roots was the death nail. Most palms cannot tolerate this. If they do recover it will probably be a very long time.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Seasol is usually best when you soak the roots of the plant before actually planting it. Afterwards is still good though.

When you say the bloke you bought them off had heaps, what's his site like? Around Rockingham is very exposed to strong winds, especially if you're close to the beach. Maybe his place is more sheltered. At this stage you can only wait and see if they're going to come good.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I don't understand why you are being told that 99.9% of Alexanders die when transplanted. I live in Florida and Home Depot sells them all the time. I see people hauling them on the roof of the cars, sticking them in the ground. They grow and are beautiful.

I am new to Florida and Palms but I've root pruned a few and they are fine and healthy.

It is the beginning of Spring in Australia. I would give them a good soaking with some liquid root hormone and fertilizer.

Jane

• david_
    10 years ago

Home depot sell a palm with the same name but is different. They also sell Archontophoenix alexandrae but not as much. The palm they call Alexander is Ptychosperma elegans. I'm not saying your wrong Jane because you might know the difference. Archontophoenix Alexandrae are not easily transplanted.

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

There is a HUGE difference between PLANTING and TRANSPLANTING a palm.. one is just putting a potted palm into the ground.. .these palms have nice, pot-shaped root balls and are stable... easy to plant and no root disturbance.. .but to TRANSPLANT a palm means digging up an already planted palm... these palms do NOT have stable rootballs in nice pot-shapes ready to go in the ground... no palms like their roots messed with, and Archontophoenix are near the top of the list of those that are particularly unhappy about having their roots messed with. To show you how unhappy they are, they like to just drop dead. Guess it's just their way. Many palms vary on their transplant sensitivity. You CAN transplant an Archontophoenix, but it usually takes a huge, firm rootball often collected by a huge back hoe and then boxed or 'bagged' by professionals in usually compact, clay soil that tends to keep its shape as you dig up and move the palm. Still, it's a risky thing. Some root prune these and patiently build a box around them 6 months later... most times it's hardly worth it since Archontophoenix are pretty fast growing palms, and it's usually much cheaper to just buy some large boxed plants (grown into those boxes) and move them as if they were just large potted palms (root balls nice and firmly box-shaped and easy to move and plant... not transplant).

10 years ago

My neighbor has a small grove of Bangalows (Kings) doing great. One year when they were still people sized, he dug up a double. SO far,those two are the only two that have died. The rest are now going for three stories tall.
    And don't get me started on how hard Phoenix roebellini is to replant...

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Tne Bangalows are Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, they come from a cooler warm temperate climate and are a bit more cold tolerant than A. alexandrae which are from the tropics.

• lloyds_house
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been chatting with a local wholesaler who mentioned they came across a large amount of these, which they transplanted to their property. In doing so, they lay plastic at the base of the bulb and soaked them continuously for months. they found 90% of them survived the move.
    Current water intake is 10-20L/day/palm. I don't believe this is enough to re-establish them yet as the new fronds are green at the base but are drying out as they open. the tops of the trunk are still green.
    I will battle through the summer and continue to increase water as I can until I see some healthy foliage.

PS. planted 8 Bananas today and got a mighty sun burn for my troubles

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Your main battle will be with the fact that you have a dry heat and a wet cold, whereas a lot of these plants are adapted to a wet heat and dry cold. Irrigation will solve the issue in the soil to a great degree, but the air mass you won't change. That's why starting off with smaller plants that have the appropriate root system is better than having larger plants with a smaller compromised root system.

• us_marine
    10 years ago

How are they doing now, any pics? I think that by now you should know if they have a chance at recovering or not. If they held any newer fronds or have started growing spears you should be good. I had planted one in April, which might be close to the same time/season you planted yours. By 4 months later mine was not dead but it did not do too much until I started to increase water (my climate is also hot and dry in summer). Now, mine is recovering.

However we are about to be hit by an artic blast :/ My area is also cool and wet in winter. These palms only make it in sheltered spots but can thrive here for many years and often do survive cold years. Biggest ones I've seen are taller than a two story house. Hopefully I have planted mine in a warm enough spot. Anyway, your best bet on knowing if your palms will survive long term in your area is to look around. Do you see any? What about in protected spots?
    Good luck!
    - US_Marine

• PRO
    Caporella Group of Fl. Inc.
    5 years ago

Can i clip some of the top roots of an Alexander palm to add decorative rocks. Palm is over 20' in height. Nick 954-650-5992

5 years ago

Sounds like trouble to cut roots for the palm. Just pour over the roots...believe me,if a bit of root shows nobody will notice or,just pour more rock on that.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH