Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butiaman

Butia palms and more

butiaman
12 years ago

I've been meaning to post some pics.of my Butia palms,but I dont have much time nowadays to do much of anything.I do still read everyones post and even get to respond to most of them.

Greg you asked me awhile ago to post pics.of my Butias.Sorry it took me so long to get them posted on here.There nothing special,one I had to trunk cut.I threw in some other pics.also,enjoy.

7gal.B.yatay

1gal.B.yatay

Plant tag

This B.capitata survived winter with very little damage.

This is the one B.capitata I had to trunk cut.I think it made a great recovery since it didn't start growing till June.

This is a 15gal.green Med.fan palm.I love it from this view.

5gal.T.princeps.I brought it in because I just planted it today and the temp.is *55f tonight.

Does anybody know the name of this Agave?

I know it's not a palm but I love the look of these Japanese Maples.

Some of the potted plants I got last week and some I got this week.It's to late in the year to plant them now,so they will get planted next spring.I hope everyone liked the pics.

Randy

Comments (30)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You have some great Butias there (-:

Love the cute little Princeps...you can never have to
    many of those!

The Agave(is)Desmettiana

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I love that butia Yatay! Wow, that looks great! The Med fan palm looks great also. And I have a soft spot for Japanese maples too. I have 2 of them (wasnt my choice to plant them, but I wouldnt consider replacing them like I do for some of my other shrubs).
    I agree with Jim, your agave is a Desmettiana. I have one too and I love it, very fast growing for an agave!
    Where did you get the T. princeps? Looks very nice!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jim and Alex,
    I dont really know a lot about Agaves.The only ones I really know is Agave americana.My favorite being A.americana marginata Blue.
    Alex,
    I got both B.yatas and the T.princeps from a local man.He grows a lot of rare cold hardy palms.I got a 7gal.S.Birmingham from him also,man talk about a slow growing palm.The B.yatays have thinner trunks and longer fronds than B.capitatas.They look spindly to me when young.Mabey because they grow much faster than any Butia palm.The next Butia palm I want is B.eriospatha x B.microspadix.But plants are impossible to find and seeds are very rare.
    Jim and ALex,
    Since you both know more than me about Agaves,I have a question mabey one of you can answer for me.That A.desmettiana gets some kind of brown looking rings on the end of the old leaves,I guess you call them leaves.I've sprayed them with 3 different kind of fungicides and it sill keeps getting them.What could it be?Alex your wright,they do grow fast.In two years i've got 6 pups off it also.Thanks guys for your comments.
    Randy

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Does sound like a fungal problem or burning from water
    droplets staying on the leaves while the suns out.

Some kind of water proofing solution like wilt-pruf may
    help but it looks great and maybe no need to worry???

Don't overwater the Princeps...you should get some nice
    growth out of it in your climate-maybe 5+ leaves per year(-:

• Central_Cali369
    12 years ago

The specific variety is A. Desmettiana Variegata. They're one of the showiest of the small agaves in my opinion. Here's one of mine that's about 4 years old.

{{gwi:1162445}}

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Thanks for remembering Randy, I've been waiting..LOL.

I like seeing how they do in your area/zone. The Yatay is doing well and the other butia recovered completely. If i may suggest you cover the one you had to cut back for winter, at least for this year. Not all the pictures came out.

Hey, no dog pictures:)

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

How much was that 1 gal yatay?

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Greg,
    The 1gal.B.yatay was $20,I did'nt have to pay a shipping charge.What pictures didn't come out?On my computer I can see all of them.Let me know and I'll post them again if you want.I did have some trouble with photobucket when I was trying to copy them.How are your B.yatays doing?The man I got both of them from is the president of the Southeastern Palm Society,He lives in Douglasville.He got them from David at Tejays Tropicals,he can get them cheap.He travels around a lot to meetings and to visit people who are in the palm society.He also gives lectures at different colleges on cold hardy palms.He brought me both of them back from Texas.You could'nt meet a nicer man.

Jim,
    Do I need to put the A.desmettiana variegata in the shade when I water it?Should I dry off any water left on the leaves?It seem to be looking better since I started watering it more.I have it potted up in equal parts sand and potting mix?Maybe it drains to good?

Greg,
    I have a new dog,he's just a pup.He is half red noise Pit and half Dingo.He's a very hyper dog.It's illegal to breed pure blooded pitbulls in Douglas County anymore.I think it's stupid,there's a lot bigger and meaner dogs than pits.Germin Shepards,Doberman Pinschers,Rotwailers,just to name a few.Go figure!
    Here's a pic.of him.

Check out those ears,Randy

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Very nice pic of your Dog! And I agree, there are more agressive breeds out there than pitbulls. I have seen some really nasty pit bulls by me (who will tear apart basically any living creature that comes close to them), but there are others who are just as friendly as any other dog. It depends on how you treat them, some are treated as guard dogs and definitely are guard dogs, and some are treated as part of the family and they become part of the family and are much more friendly in comparison.

I wouldnt worry too much about your agave since they are very hardy plants. I havent watered mine with a watering hose all summer long and it does fine (keep in mind that we have gotten 30 inches of rain here between August and September and 20 inches of it fell in August). I also can say that I didnt water it when it went inside either.

The good thing about agaves is they can be left alone and they still look great. I would let the soil dry out (especially this time of the year) before watering. During the hot days of summer, water more often, and the fall sun is very dry and strong so dont let it go too dry this time of the year either (I have lost plants this time of the year because they have gotten too dry).

Good luck! Like Cental Cali said, its a very showy agave. Its a great agave for planters also which is a huge plus! They are fast growing too once they get to a certain height (mine has grown really noticeably in just one year) but the pups are very slow growing for me.

-Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Nice doggy.

I think just watering at the soil should work.
    Maybe the leaves are just sensitive to moisture and
    sunlight together? - looks fine to me(-:

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Hey Butiaman,

friendly looking pup:) Good to see him/her - what's the name? He's the Palm Protector!

My B.yatays are doing great and growing big. I'll have to post some pics soon. They talk about regulating pits here in NYC but it hasn't happened. Unfortunately some of the bad guys in the city raise them to fight(its illegal) and they become killer dogs when they escape the pen or jump a fense. Responsible owners like you and the poor dogs catch a bad rap. The jaws are larger than other breeds and lock. When I worked in the ER we has some bad cases come in from pits. My friends have them and they are freindly as anything, then again, when my German Short Haired Pointer met one on my street that was supposedly nice, he tore into her and I got them apart just in time. The owner was shocked, and it made me cautious with some pits.

I hope the off topic police don't lecture me..lol. You know who you are.

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jim and Alex,
    I took a few pics.of the leaves so you could see what i'm talking about.You cant see the circles in the other pic.They seem to start on the back side of the leaves then they start showing on the top side.I've never seen anything like it.Here's a few pics.

I hope those pictures show what I was talking about better.

Greg,
    My new dog in the first pic.is Bo.I was having trouble with photobucket that day.I cant believe I forgot to tell his name,sorry.I know this is not a dog forum but you have to see the way this dog lays.
    Looks funny to me:)

I agree that it's the owners fault.You can make any dog mean.My mother told me they use to have a poodle that I picked at it so much that it got to where you could'nt even touch it.I dont remember,I was only 8yrs old.I sold all of my other dogs except Bo and Dozzer and Bandit.Dozzer was my first red noise pit and I guess he will be my last.If you own a pitbull in Douglas County it's a law also that you must have them Spade or neutered.I couldn't do that to my two prize winning dogs,so I sold them.There going to breed them,they live in a different county where you still can.
    This is Dozer.He protects everything!

I dont have to worry about anything while Dozer is on watch.
    Randy

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Randy, my dog lays like that too sometimes! Only sometimes my dog will crawl around like that. It looks funny! My dog (his name is Benny) is a Golden retriever and a yellow lab mix. He is annoying but he is a good dog. Here is a picture of Benny:

Cute dogs Randy! When I think pit bull I think of them tearing people apart but that is not true in lots of cases. My aunt in VA has a pitbull and she is a scardy cat! You have to bend down and be really quiet and gentle and then she might come out of her doghouse but if you stand up she will run full speed back in the dog house!
    Again, I like your dogs!
    -Hunter

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Hi Randy!!!

Great looking Butias..

They all look happy and definately healthy!!!

I hope you find some answers for your AGaves...They look great to me... Like Jim said...water from the soil line.
    I think they will be fine.

Those dog pics are wonderful!!!

Sorry to hear that you had to sell some of your babies...

Bo definately has those Dingo ears..how cute!!!

Dozier...WOW!!! Does he have any Iron Dog trophies...LOL

He would stop anyone or anything right on the spot!!

Look at the muscles on that dog.. WHew!!!! Thats a strong dog...

Congratulations on having a dog that is absoultely awesome!!!

Hunter,

Benny looks like a sweetheart!!

Great pictures...

Take care,

Laura in VB

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Hunter,
    I use to have a Black Lab,he was 80lbs.He was the dog I grew up with.Dont underestimate those dogs.Mine got into a fight with two Rottweilers and he won.He was protecting me from them.There great dogs,and there real protective of there family.Benny is a beautiful dog.

Hey Laura,
    Dozer is very strong.He broke every chain I put him on,till I put him on a logging chain.He runs 5 miles a day on a Dog Treadmill,he loves it.Can you believe he is 5yrs old.I feed him raw chicken and sweet potatoes.I also give him Red cell for dogs.It really bulks them up.This recipe will work on any dog.

Laura
    It's good to here from you.How is your A.americana doing since you planted it in the ground?I'm thinking about getting one next year.I've been meaning to tell you that I have about 30 one gallon S.palmetto seedlings,from the seeds you sent me.I still have about 30 or 40 seeds also.
    I only got 3 of the Butia seeds to germinate tho.I'll try some more of them you sent me next spring.Maybe they will still be good.I thought about trying B.yatays or B.eriospathas from seeds.I just hate how long it takes to grow them from seeds,LOL.I bet you could get away with growing a P.canariensis,just a thought.
    Take care,Randy

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Hey Randy,
    Thanks for the new posts. Wow Dozer is strong and scarey looking.. and effective I am sure. He looks a touch more tuff than Benny. Sorry Hunter. Also, my dog lays like that too sometimes! Bo knows Dozer's boss.

Sharing about Dozer is cool. Post his pics more if you want and I'll post Penny's tuff shots.. lol. I pay little mind to the self-appointed PC police in this forum... LOL. I have come to realize that some people who blog can be a card short and need Grace. We can discuss what normal topics - even dog spelled backwards.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Watch-out... here's my terror that will leave Dozer shaking in his boots..lol Randy.

Here's another tuff shot.

I suspect that butia yatay's are hardier than butia capitas. What do you think?

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Greg: You enjoy putting me down dont you?

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Greg,
    Dozer looks mean and nasty,but he is a big puppy at heart.Your dog's name is penny wright?I've seen little dogs do amazing things.Dogs do'nt recognize size.

I think B.yatays are all around tougher palms than B.capitatas.They are the fastest growing and the biggest in the Butia family of palms.It would make since that they would be the most hardy also.In Argententina they dominate the forest.Your B.yatay looks very healthy,beautiful palm.Did you make your own potting soil for it or did you buy a name brand potting soil?What ever you use it's working great.The only difference I can tell about the potting soil is B.yatays like better draining soil than B.capitatas.I had one die on me because where I planted it the soil stayed to wet.As the President of the palm society told me he as had more palms die on him than he could count on two hands.I've had palms die on me in pots,planted in the same soil,they got the same amount of water and light.They even got the same amount of fertilizer.One died and the other one thrived.Some palms are more finicky than others.Personally i've had more trouble with T.fortuneis than any other palms,and there suppost to be the most easiest to grow.The palms that are suppost to be the hardest to grow seem to be the easiest for me to grow.Go figure!!

Greg,
    If you dont mind me asking,what is your zip code?I like to see what your low and high temps.are.I have Laura's,and Dixieboy's.It still amazes me how warm y'all stay in winter,because of the Gulf Stream.I live in the South,but I live to far away from the ocean to get any warming affect from it.People dont realize that Atlanta is in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountain chain.Cold air follows the mountains down to Atlanta and even to Birmingham,Alabama.
    Thanks,Randy

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Randy, I'd like your tips for Butia Captiata, especially in winter. Planted my first this year. I was reluctant in planting one since I've never had to winterize my palms (windmills) before. It was a bargain at Home Depot in April, and it really has grown well this summer. It's doubled in size so it's now taller than me. I'd hate to lose it now. I'm on the Mid-Atlantic Coast too--19958, FYI.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Hi Hunter, I really liked seeing Benny's picture. He looks so friendly and kind and I am sure he is a great buddy. I was just joking about all our dogs. My dog too. Try not to take things so hard. Trying a teenage forum may be a better choice and more fun for you. I personally do not feel comfortable talking to minors on-line and do not adress you for that reason. Guard your heart and don't let people's comments bother you so much. I will not be responding.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

Hey Randy - like your southern - y'all...lol.

My zip is 11215. Being on a urbanized marine coastal plain stops us from dropping below 5 degrees nine out of ten winters and occastionally we get a break with a mild coastal winter with almost no snow and lows of only 20ish.

I do mix my own soil, its MUCH cheaper. I use a combination of top siol, sand and some bark chips and some smashed up clam shells. I use palm fertilizer as well. I have to send you some updated photos of my yatay's - they are taking off!!!

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

I dont really dont want to join a teen forum mainly because they talk about crap im not interested in. If nobody likes talking to me because Im a minor, I guess I will just leave this site.
    A shame to, because I really like this site.

• brooklyngreg
    12 years ago

I spoke for myself. Many people here like talking to you.

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

You dont KNOW that. The only person on here that I feel appreciates me on here is Laura. And I thank you fot that, Laura. This is just like at my school. Everybody at my school is saying how nobody likes me. I guess that applies for here,too. I dont want to leave this site, I really dont. But if nobody wants to talk to me on here because Im 14, I really see no other choice but to leave.
    Thanks for trying to cheer me up, Greg. I hope other people on here like me.
    -Hunter

• butiaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wetsuiter,
    The best thing I can tell you is keep all the moisture in any form out of the growing bud during extreme cold spells..Most people here just wrap them with a frost cloth when temps.go below 15f.I personally just throw a tarp over mine when it's going to rain and the temps.are going to drop below 15f that night,which it hardley ever gets that low here.That way I can easily take it off when temps.warm up.Long as the temps.stay above 15f at night I dont do anything.If it's going to rain for several days in a row now I will throw a tarp over them.They dont stop growing even in winter,they just slow down.They dont need that much rain in winter,because of there slowed growth.Here if the temps.go below freezing at night it usually gets above freezing the next day.I lost a B.capitata one winter because the temps.dropped below freezing and it dident get above freezing for 6 days.That's what I mean by a extreme cold spell.We broke 100yr old records that winter for most rain and the most time below freezing.I hope this helps you with your Pindo.If not you might want to ask someone up around your area.I dont really know what your winters are like.Thanks for giving me your zipcode,it will help me know more about your winters.It could be helpful in the future.I hope the best for your pindo palm.I know what it's like to lose a big beauitful palm.The one I had die on me,I had it for eight years.It's like loosing a good friend :(

Greg,
    Hunter seems like a good boy who likes and grows cold hardy palms.I think its cool,I dident even know there was such a thing as a cold hardy palm when I was his age.There's nothing wrong about him being on this forum.I welcome him to the forum and will answer any questions he needs answered about plants and even comment on his pics. of his plants.I know why your weary about talking to a minor.It's because when kids go missing or get killed they look at the hard drive on there computer to see who they have been talking too.As long as you dont talk about sex or something of that nature you will be fine.Praise him for going outside the box and starting to grow cold hardy palms at his age.Heck people told me at my age,you cant grow palm trees in Douglasville.I proved them wrong,now they say I guess you can grow them here.I know they thought I had lost my mind when I first started planting Palms.Now they want to know all about them,there names,how cold hardy they are and how to plant them.

Hunter,
    I did'nt fit in with the Jocks or the Preppies either or the so called cool kids.I only had a few friends in school.Till I got to High School,where I found more people who liked the same things I did.Dont worry about it.If there true friends they will stick with you through good times and bad times.Look at Bill Gates and Donald Trump.They were loaners and look at who and where they are now.I told you one time before in a post that I think your a inspiration to other teenagers to be growing what your growing at your age.Keep doing what your doing and one day you will see what im talking about.Your welcome to post on this forum anytime you want,in my eyes.I'm sure I dont speak just for myself on this matter.Keep up the good work on growing those Palms and Bananas and also the Plumerias,see you dident think I read your post or saw the pictures.You never know,you might be the next great palm guru someday :)
    Randy

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

There is nothing wrong with you being on this site at your age, Hunter. It's just a gardening website. I think most of us appreciate you on here and try to mentor you along with your new hobby. Laura and Alex are especially kind souls on here and always have words and encouragement and praise for everyone. It's a shame school has to be so hard for many young people. Many of us have been there at your age; do you best to ignore the negative things that people may say about you. Things change.

Most gardeners here try to answer your questions or correct you if we see you poking or disturbing your seeds or palms too much, and are happy for your sucesses. I'm sure a lot of us are reminded about our first interests in growing palm trees when we were around your age.

But I do understand where Greg is coming from too. On other types of websites, some adults can take advantage of minors or can get in trouble themselves for interacting inappropriately with a minor on line.

If everyone keeps discussion JUST to palms and their gardens here, nothing is inappropriate. I hope you stay active with your palm hobby, keep being a member of this palm community, and update us regularly.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Well said..Randy and Vince!!

Hunter,

Like i said, Continue to learn and grow and you will have a better start than all of us here. I didnt really start to appreciate trees and plants until later on in life...

I understand when i look at the thread that Greg was just having a chuckle from the look of that huge dog of Randy's
    Dozier i think...heck i have a weiner dog..lol!!! he would only be an appetizer... : )

I applaud you for learning and the excitement that you have...Continur to post and we do enjoy talking about palms here...

This is a palm forum and we do go off topic sometimes, but we all love Palms...that is why we are here...

Im glad that i can give you encouragement...Makes me feel good.thank you!!

We all have had our share of times in school..everyones goes throgh them. Keep you head held high and continue to learn and grow!!!

Like Randy said...think of how much you will know when your are in your later years...

Age is a number...

We all like to share what we know here on this forum and like to have everyone contribute...

Carry on Hunter...you are welcome to post whereever and whenever you wish!!!

Randy,

Glad to here that you have 30 seedlings..That's wonderful!! Dont give up on those Butia seeds..some of mine have taken a few years and will surprise you!!!

My Agave is doing well, thanks for asking!!! I will protect it this winter and hopefully it will be fine.

Probaly will use frost cloth and if it really gets cold, maybe lights or heating tape.

Ill keep you posted on what happens with this monster!!!

I really like this special Agave so im watching it closely.

Someone gave me this that is no longer with us...so i like to share this special Agave...some of you all have babies form this Agave...

Take care everyone,

Remember...Keep up the good work!!! You will see the rewards of growing and in life... : )

Laura in VB

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Thanks guys. I was acting dumb earlier on. I have a lot of mixed feelings with school and stuff. I apologize. Thank you Randy,wetsuiter, and Laura. You guys are very nice.
    -Hunter

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Randy,

Thanks for the detailed information. I'm in the northern edge 8a in Coastal Delaware. I'm only a half mile from open water.The ocean moderates our winters, but not as much as VA Beach, 2.5 hrs drive to our south. In your area of 8a, I'm sure your winter days warm up more and faster than here. Aside from freakishly deep snow in winter '10, it normally doesn't snow much--maybe an inch or two and its normally gone the next day. Average January night temps are 28 and school high of 42. Nights colder than 20 are rare; last year we had two nights around 17. When it is that cold, it is usually still and clear or after a bigger winter storm. Cold rain in the mid 30s is more typical, rather than snow, but sleet or freezing rain is more of a problem. It's not as mild as the Outter Banks or VB, but not as harsh as the rest of the Mid Atlantic or New England. Hope that gives you an idea.

This year I'll give it a good wrap since is its first winter here and see how it goes. Maybe in a year or two it'll be hardy enough for just a tarp on coldest nights. Thanks.

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations