Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to bring in my queen and foxtail/fishtail?

Posted by lindenska NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 1:54

HI guys, its getting colder here in NJ, what's your advice on when to bring them in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to bring in my queen and foxtail/fishtail?

I see upper 50's in the extended as min temps. Not bad for the palms you have. Not into bringing things in yet. Most of mine are hardier dates, Washingtonia, Butias, etc. Would you believe I waited till early Dec last year on the Queens! So far, just brought the coconut inside. Also depends on you specific site within the state. Big differences in temps in NJ over short distances. I get my 'local' weather from someplace one hour west of me--crazy. I often add 10 degrees to figure out what the min temps are for my backyard!

o

I agree with NJoasis. I think most patio plants, palms included, are better off outside as long as possible, even with cooler temps, than they are in the house or garage. I don't bring my stuff in until forecast lows have frost or temps close to freezing. I'm actually thinking about putting my hibiscus back outside with temps of upper 60s highs and upper 40s to 50s lows. The leaves are starting to turn a little yellow after being inside for the last several days.

o

Recent years have seen some early season chill before warm ups.

Nothing even near frosty in the 7 day forecast. And it may make you feel better to see what the three month forecasts are predicting.

I used to start taking things inside around Labor Day--no more. If I were to start moving tem into my garage converted greenhouse, I would not be able to keep pace with their watering needs--too many and no time. Once it really chills down, I can start moving the subtropicals into the garage and not have to worry about daily watering. I move them in waves. The tropicals go first but I have not been in such a rush with those either. It was near 80 today with some humidity so not feeling those autumn triggers yet.
I am close enough to the ocean that temps normally drop very gradually in the Fall over a prolonged period--and current offshore temps are near record levels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Long range forecasts

o

wow. thanks. So what are the fringe temps where i'd have to start bringing them in? Frost? As soon as I see that on the forecast, bring them in? I'm right by staten island, 7a.
I don't get how you get your weather 1 hour away, west of you, if youre by the ocean though.

o

The Fish Tails and the Foxes, I woud start moving inside as soon as temps start dropping into the upper 40's on a regular basis. The Queens are hardier, mine are rather tall/big and they go into the garage well into November, if not later. They are in a pretty good microclimate with full southern sun all day, wind protection of fence and nearby garage. They have been out in light frosts but I would not expose them to temps much below 30, but they have been out without harm when frosts did put an end to any annuals. If your are relatively small, be more conservative, as big tubs/plants can handke a bit more cold. The Washys and Butias don't get protected until December. So far, I have not lost any from cold damage.

p.s., I have no idea why my cable weather channel comes from 50 miles away.

o

Thanks. I see we're going to have lows of 47/48 next weekend, I'll keep an eye on that. I don't have a garage and short on space inside, but I don't want to ruin any of the palms, so I'll have to keep an eye on the temps.

o

Those queens can go into the upper twenties.
Remember the temps are not going to be that
low all night, only short periods of time at first
and then as winter gets underway longer periods.
It's when you get low temps early on and they
stay that way for 12 to 14 hours that causes problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here