Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindenska

When to bring in my queen and foxtail/fishtail?

lindenska
11 years ago

HI guys, its getting colder here in NJ, what's your advice on when to bring them in?

Comments (7)

• subtropix
    11 years ago

I see upper 50's in the extended as min temps. Not bad for the palms you have. Not into bringing things in yet. Most of mine are hardier dates, Washingtonia, Butias, etc. Would you believe I waited till early Dec last year on the Queens! So far, just brought the coconut inside. Also depends on you specific site within the state. Big differences in temps in NJ over short distances. I get my 'local' weather from someplace one hour west of me--crazy. I often add 10 degrees to figure out what the min temps are for my backyard!

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

I agree with NJoasis. I think most patio plants, palms included, are better off outside as long as possible, even with cooler temps, than they are in the house or garage. I don't bring my stuff in until forecast lows have frost or temps close to freezing. I'm actually thinking about putting my hibiscus back outside with temps of upper 60s highs and upper 40s to 50s lows. The leaves are starting to turn a little yellow after being inside for the last several days.

• subtropix
    11 years ago

Recent years have seen some early season chill before warm ups.

Nothing even near frosty in the 7 day forecast. And it may make you feel better to see what the three month forecasts are predicting.

I used to start taking things inside around Labor Day--no more. If I were to start moving tem into my garage converted greenhouse, I would not be able to keep pace with their watering needs--too many and no time. Once it really chills down, I can start moving the subtropicals into the garage and not have to worry about daily watering. I move them in waves. The tropicals go first but I have not been in such a rush with those either. It was near 80 today with some humidity so not feeling those autumn triggers yet.
    I am close enough to the ocean that temps normally drop very gradually in the Fall over a prolonged period--and current offshore temps are near record levels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Long range forecasts

• lindenska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow. thanks. So what are the fringe temps where i'd have to start bringing them in? Frost? As soon as I see that on the forecast, bring them in? I'm right by staten island, 7a.
    I don't get how you get your weather 1 hour away, west of you, if youre by the ocean though.

• subtropix
    11 years ago

The Fish Tails and the Foxes, I woud start moving inside as soon as temps start dropping into the upper 40's on a regular basis. The Queens are hardier, mine are rather tall/big and they go into the garage well into November, if not later. They are in a pretty good microclimate with full southern sun all day, wind protection of fence and nearby garage. They have been out in light frosts but I would not expose them to temps much below 30, but they have been out without harm when frosts did put an end to any annuals. If your are relatively small, be more conservative, as big tubs/plants can handke a bit more cold. The Washys and Butias don't get protected until December. So far, I have not lost any from cold damage.

p.s., I have no idea why my cable weather channel comes from 50 miles away.

• lindenska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I see we're going to have lows of 47/48 next weekend, I'll keep an eye on that. I don't have a garage and short on space inside, but I don't want to ruin any of the palms, so I'll have to keep an eye on the temps.

• orchiddude
    11 years ago

Those queens can go into the upper twenties.
    Remember the temps are not going to be that
    low all night, only short periods of time at first
    and then as winter gets underway longer periods.
    It's when you get low temps early on and they
    stay that way for 12 to 14 hours that causes problems.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company