Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quaching

How much can you sell sago palms for?

Quaching
10 years ago

Hi, I just started growing Sago Palms a few months ago. I have close to 100 pups (all sizes) that are putting out leaves. My question is how much can you sell Sago Palms for? I know it most likely depends on the size of the sago palm. Some of the pups are about 8 inches long, not counting the leaves. Some of the small ones are about golf ball sized pups. I would like to have a plant sale next year and I'm trying to sell them for really cheap so I'm trying to get an idea of how much they should sell for. I'm going to put all 100 in my green house over the winter and keep them growing so hopefully I will have some decent sized sago palms before I start selling them next March. I saw that some people sell them by how tall they are, someone said $125.00 per foot tall. I'm really just hoping to sell them for about $25.00 each. Would $25.00 each be a fair price?

Comments (25)

• bradleyo_gw
    10 years ago

Go to your local big box and price them comparably or less for the equivalent size. $25 sounds fair for large ones, but probably steep for smaller ones. Unless you have a nursery, it may be tough to sell them depending where you are.

• eriktampabay
    10 years ago

1 gallon sago palms go for $7.00. Wholesale you can pick them up for $2.00. Sagos are easy to germinate and grow and do not demand a high price.

• mimalf
    10 years ago

Price depends on the caudex size. Usually is per inch of caudex. Cycas Revoluta (aka Sago Palm) is pretty inexpensive and easy to find here. :)

How did you get that many offsprings in only a few months? Did you feed them something special?

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

These USED to be worth some money but nowadays a good 2' of trunk on a plant can go for as little as $40 at some large nurseries. Suckers for about $2. The market is flooded with them now, so good luck trying to sell them. I have gotten ALL of mine for free, including some with over 4' of trunk (many people just want these out of their yards).

• Quaching
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, this is good info. I'm not trying to make a killing. I want to sell them cheap. I live in Alabama and Sago Palms are pretty popular here. I just wasn't sure what to price them at. I get the pups from a friend that has about 30 large sago palms in his yard, he gives them to me for free. The only expense I have is the cost of soil to plant them in pots (pots were free also). So basically I just have a little money and a little time invested so far. By the sounds of it $25.00 each may be asking too much. I will probably see if I can get $40 each for the larger ones (around 3 feet tall), $10 for the medium ones, and $5 for the small ones. I did notice that Walmart has some really small ones that they sell for $15.00 each but I'm not worried about making a lot of money on them, I just want to get rid of all of them. If I notice that they aren't selling during my plant sale next March then I'll drop the price to $5 each to see if they start moving. I also work with about 2,000 people so I'm going to try and sell as many as I can to the people I work with before the plant sale. Maybe this way I won't have so much pressure on me during the plant sale to unload them all. I really appreciate all the info.

• twrobinson5
    8 years ago

I bought 9 at Lowes for 3 dollars. They were discounted for sale. Sold two this past winter farmers market for 5 dollars. As they get bigger I might raise the price.

• mimalf
    8 years ago

How small were they?

• twrobinson5
    8 years ago

The bulb part was about 4 inches and the fronds and bulb were about 12 inches tall.

• twrobinson5
    7 years ago

Sold the rest during the summer market.

• Patricia Woodson
    6 years ago

I have a sago palm in a large pot: it is about 7' tall and has about that much spread. I would like to sell it (perhaps to a business) as it is very heavy and has outgrown my home. Any ideas on price or how to market it?

• mimalf
    6 years ago

What area, Patricia?

• Patricia Woodson
    6 years ago

To mimalf, I should have said that I am near Birmingham. I live in Alabaster. Thank you for responding. Also I have been fighting mealybugs on this plant. Any thoughts?

• mimalf
    6 years ago

Do anything in your power to kill those or they will kill your cycad. I've lost a few cycad seedlings to mealybugs. Try to wash them off with alcohol on cotton balls, spray with a specific insecticide, anything. For the bigger ones, when I realized those mealybugs will devour my seedlings, I used a systemic insecticide and it worked, meaning it prevented them for getting the mealybugs. The systemic insecticide is going to be absorbed throught he roots and the pests will die only trying to suck/bite on the plant so it will work if the others didn't. Good luck and keep us posted.

• preston lincoln
    6 years ago

To Quaching my name is Dylon I am 16 years old and I am trying to start a Sago palm farm. I live at 510 West Quince ST Duluth MN and I was wandering if you would like to send me some Sago palm. If you do I will take as many small ones off your hands as you want

• preston lincoln
    6 years ago

I may not be able to take to you for very long so if you have any friends that would like to have some sago palms takin off their hands I would love to Dylon press.

• preston lincoln
    6 years ago

Sorry have to go now this is probably the only time I am going to do this so please do not answer

• plantsman56
    6 years ago

Patricia, are you sure it is mealy bugs and not Asian scale?

• HU-273074883
    4 years ago

Hi my name is Misty and I do not have a green thumb my mom and dad have a sago palm in their yard and I got out all the seeds I am wanting to plant them but I have no idea what to do with them I know that I can Google all this information but I was just wondering if there was someone out there that could tell me all about it and what I need to do thank you very much

• Tracy Kaetzel
    4 years ago

Sago is extremely toxic and poisonous. Please do not try to grow more of these deadly plants.

• Barry Marshall
    3 years ago

I have four full grown sago palms that someone can have if you come get them

• philip kouros
    3 years ago

i have a 11 ft and 6 ft sago palms in ground i want to sell since i'm selling the house. i also have 3 ft sago palms in pots. you can email me if you want pkouros@dslextreme.com

• PRO
    Destiny Homes by Daphne
    3 years ago

We have two 8 -10 feet sago palms, who would be interested in buying them?

• HU-440051169
    3 years ago

my name is Andrew I have 3 acres full of sago palms from 3in tall to over 10 feet tall my females all produced seeds this years an am looking to start another grow however I need to get rid of some of these first not for free but cheap.. 2waltersleft@gmail.com

• Phoenix Rising (Zone 7a/b, NJ)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

That's the thing with cycads (at least Sago palm, a.k.a, Cycas revoluta), they may grow relatively slowing mine push one major growth spurt per year), but they survive the long haul and get too big for some of us. I've considered donating mine to a botanical garden.