Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
specks of insects seemingly feeding on cycas curanii

Posted by keylyn none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 3:49

i have these jet black insects, which are slightly larger than the common red spider mites, and congregate less. (what are these? any idea)
they appeared to be tearing through the cycad outer covering unnoticed until i discovered them.
 photo 26092013255_zpsaeee1508.jpg
i easily peeled off the part that was infected and and sprayed it with a weak solution of malathione, one of the over-the-counter pesticides available here.
 photo 26092013256_zps5a902844.jpg
the whole image (foreground) of the plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: specks of insects seemingly feeding on cycas curanii

I found out the culprits are the ubiquitous powderpost beetles on untreated bamboo wood.
The beetles appear to be boring through the dead leaf bases of the plant.

I did decapitate the plant leaving me with a head with its leaf bases still relatively fresh and intact and free of infestation.
And I submerged the whole thing with mixture of pesticide and water to give me a little less doubt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here