Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Labor Day update

Posted by bradleyo 6a-Pgh (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 9:23

Happy Labor Day! Had time to take a few pics. As you can see I haven't made much progress, been busy with other projects and work. But the plants have hit their peak.

The alocasia in the foreground is about 6 feet tall. I need to get a pic with some scale in it. The basjoo was a little disapppointing in it's first year. The top of the highest reaching leaf is about 10 feet, however I expected more being that the stump I took from Dubois was huge.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Chicago hardy on Memorial Day.

Photobucket

Chicago hardy on Labor Day. Well over 6 feet tall with probably 100 figs.

Memorial Day

Photobucket

Labor day

Time to make some hot sauce

June - notice the little washy that's never had a leaf pruned.

Photobucket

Labor Day - still never been pruned

Unfortunately, the mums are ready to explode

Natchez blooming and some redesign in the "veggie bed" due to the squash bugs destroying half of my garden

Tough to see, but I picked up a purple leafed honeysuckle for $3. It's in the foreground meant to cover the fence.

2nd mag flower of the year.

Enjoy. Thanks for looking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Labor Day update

Awesome job!

When you think of all the days of Labor it is to relocate,you
really get an appreciation for all the extra work you
have done making your house look like a home-that YOU live in!

Nice job.

What are your thoughts on the cactus and palms in regard to protection this winter?

Did you say you are in a warmer "zone" now?

Click for Fairfield, Iowa Forecast

o

wow !. your landscaping is Amazing !. I need to hire you. What are your plans for protection on your Washy's ?

o

Thanks Jim, my plans on protection for the desert bed are the same as in Dubois, pretty much none! Some moisture protection for the agave, other then that, nothing. The problem is that it is right on the street where plow $%^& and salt will land right there. We'll see what happens.

o

bama - i will not be protecting any washies just yet. I have done it, but it requires way too many resources up here. I'll dig it out every year until I have to.

o

Awsome, well best of luck to you and hope to see more updates.

o

You got some amazing growth out of that unpruned washy! How did you get your magnolia to flower twice in one season? Any idea what variety it is? I've never had mine flower twice in one summer.

o

Your garden is looking great. It has really come along considering all your plants are first years. None of my first year stuff looks like yours!

o

Island - that's only the second bloom of the season. First year in the ground BBB. Got one in June, one coming.

Chad - thanks! I'm a stickler about soil, I believe it's the main ingredient.

o

That's strange that the blooms were so far apart. Mine flowers all within probably a 2-3 week span, usually in late June. I'm hoping as it gets larger, it will have a longer flowering time span.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here