Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Needle Palm Clump

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lady Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 9:42

I have a Needle palm (Rhapidophyllum hysrix) that is starting to pup/clump. I read up on this palm before I got it, so I knew this would happen and I put it somewhere that it could be fairly free to do as it pleases. One thing I was never really clear about while reading about it is if the clumping happens from actual pupping, a la Sagos, or if it is due to birds and other carriers being unable to get to the seeds because of the needles and so the seeds drop to the base and sprout. While I have no problems with it forming a clump, as I look at the young 'pups' coming up, I find myself wondering if I can seperate them from the main palm and plant them elsewhere in the landscape, again a la Sagos?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Needle Palm Clump

The pups are offshoots from the main plant. I have a couple that will set seed underneath. Seedlings start off as a single grass like blade, and stay that way for a few years. The pups start off much larger, and grow faster. Check out the Floridata page for needle palm, it shows a clump being divided.

Here is a link that might be useful: floridata

o

I agree with Jfacendola, needle palms are clumpers! They usually start putting out pups long before they reach fruiting age and the pups grow much faster than seedlings do!
-Alex

o

The survival rate for taking these pups off of Needle Palms is about 50/50 since some may not get enough roots taken with it when separated. I would suggest using Superthrive or another root stimulator regularly with every watering when doing this. Getting the root system going is the most important thing in separating these pups from the mother plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here