Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgyvr2009i

I think my Trithrinax Campestris is starting to fan.

mcgyvr2009i
11 years ago

The newest spearleaf looks like it's been seperated into 3 equal leaves so far. I have unfortunately messed with the first spearleaf that formed since it came in May. I thought it was "trying to fan" because it looked like it was separating but wasn't getting very far. But it evidentally wasn't ready. I've learned from my mistake This time, the newest spearleaf is seperating WITHOUT my help

:-) so I think it's ready. Awesome! ^^ I am currently at votec, so when I get home, I'll send some pictures of the newly forming growth.

Comments (7)

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

Congrats on the fannage.
    I don't really try to force any of my new spear leaves to fan unless they've been pushed up for months and haven't started opening, then I twist the spear a little to loosen it. Usually natural growing conditions and wind will help with this process. I don't force seedlings to open at all because they're still sensitive and weak.

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's my blue needle palm:

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Nice-they are awesome palms!

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Agree! It's a shame that they're rare though. :-( They are the perfect indoor palm because of how slow they grow.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

until you bump into one... then you will want it far away... no other palm on the planet has leaves sharper than this one! They will readily draw blood right through a good pair of jeans if you nudge them.

• james760
    11 years ago

Very true!
    Sharp as heck

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

this is a shot of my seedling Trithrinax schizophylla... I have not seen one of these growing anywhere else before so I still don't know what to expect (other than from photos of plants in nature).... so far it's sort of blue-ish like the T campetris, but not as blue... not as spiny either, thank goodness. It already has two small stems, just 7 years from being a single leaf seedling. I hope it ends up being as hardy as its two brothers are.