Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trishmick

Windmill growth

trishmick
12 years ago

Don't know if it's the ridiculous amount of rain we've had the past 2 months, or just a sign of maturity, but here is a pic of my trachy's growth this season. Nice. Guy is getting really big. Made some eyes widen at my son's recent birthday party. I still get the 'ole "that grows here" amazed statements...

Comments (13)

• patrykgiel
    12 years ago

It's a lot, how many leaves grow ??
    You're in the 7 zone, I'm in 6b/7a approx. and my Trachy grow 7 leaf in this year, outside from March, this is good in my opinion, what do you think? I'm from Poland
    Sorry for my English. I learn.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Nice

They do seem to love the rain in summer,
    in their native lands they get heavy
    monsoon moisture in summer.

• User
    12 years ago

I see that you have a fig tree nearby as well. I don't know why but my figs did NOTHING this year--not even any growth (forget fruit). I have it containerized as they can be tender unless you protect. I'm afraid to plant one near the house as I've heard their roots can do structural damage to a house (not sure if this is true--definitely NOT true with most palms by the way). Not a good summer for Mediterranean-type plants though--too WET and HUMID. Even lavenders seem troubled by all the wet. Still have all my palms out including the hyper-tropicals such as coconuts.

Has your Tracy bloomed yet by the way?

• HardyPalmFreak
    12 years ago

Looks nice and healthy! Congrats!

• trishmick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My windmill now has over 6 feet of trunk, spitting out fronds at a healthy rate...but...it has never flowered and has been in the ground since '01. As for the fig, it is indeed planted near the foundation and has been there for almost 30 yrs. No troubles yet that I know of. I do not protect it at all during thw Winter. In fact, it looks like it's dead for months. I prune it back every year, sometimes aggressively, and yet, come Spring, it just starts taking off. If you want the fruit just come by my house. It is loaded up, and has been since late May. I don't eat them. They go to the animals, insects, or are thrown in my compost heap. I just don;t think they have any flavor, and others have said that as well. I assume that's because the temps/climate is just a little too extreme here. Our soil is very well draining and more or less neutral in terms of Ph. Can't bring myself to remove it, and besides, it adds to the "tropical" feel I've tried to create in the yard. All Winter, you can clearly see the windmill next to it, then, by late Spring, it just starts covering up the area. Always amazes me...

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Figs down here in southern Delaware do well and even ripen nicely. Those extra few weeks of growing season help. Friends of mine have kiwi vines that produce fruit, but the season is not quite long enough for them to ripen on the vine. They harvest the biggest ones right before first frost in November and let them ripen in paper bags.

Impressive windmill stats. You're on NNJ coast right, Trish?

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Your trachy looks awesome!! Definitely quite an inspiration for mine! Your fig looks fantastic too!
    Thanks for sharing. Cant wait to see some more growth from it!
    -Alex

• trishmick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In terms of coastline, I guess you would say we are NNJ, but geographically in the center of the state. Near the border of Monmouth and Ocean Counties. Takes over an hour to get to Cape May...

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

Trish, I'm an old school Jersey boy who grew up in SNJ and went to beaches on LBI, the Wildwoods or Cape May. North and South Jersey were determined by the two original area codes, what sports teams you were loyal to and which metro area your suburb was in. 609, Phillies, Eagles and Cherry Hill meant Douth. 201, Mets, Yankees, Giants and Hackensack many north. Monmoth, north; Ocean, South. There is no central in the old school eyes. LOL!

• trishmick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I'm kinda old school myself, being 51 now. Have lived blocks from the beach here all my life. Indeed, we get the visitors from NY primarily, whereas LBI and points south get Philly folks. In terms of rooting interest, we are right about where the loyalties blend. More Giant/Yankee supporters here...more Eagle/Phillies supporters in say Toms River. Nonetheless, for such a small state geographically, there is a lot of diversity. All cultures, mountains in the northwest, beaches all along the coast, and an amazing amount of farmland everywhere. Why I love it here. Winters can be brutal to be sure, but are generally mild for the Northeast. And...I can be on the sand in minutes, or buying fresh local produce, or even horseback riding, in minutes as well. By us, the beaches tend to be narrower,deeper with more wave action (Manasquan Inlet being one of the better surfing spots on the east coast). As you move south, the beaches become wider and the ocean's topography is flatter. Little to no waves and much shallower. At high tide by me, go say 20 feet offshore and you're over your head, not so in the Wildwoods. The real debate I remember as a kid was whether it was called "pork roll" or "Taylor ham".

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

So funny! I was up in Bergen County yesterday and deliberately ordered Pork Roll on a bagel, when the menu clearly calls it Taylor Ham. I always point out to my NNJ cousin that the package labels it "Taylor Pork Roll." Sort of referring to Spam as "ham." LOL!

• trishmick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

'Round here, it was always called pork roll. In my younger days, I worked as a seasonal municipal employee cleaning the beaches early in the morning. Well, my stretch of sand was directly across from a locally famous breakfast shack. After work, it was over there for a pork roll, egg, and cheese sandwich on a buttered and grilled kaiser roll with a coke just about every morning. No palms around folks' yards then, but a fond memory to be sure. My mother-in-law always takes some back down to south Florida when she leaves...

• arctictropical
    12 years ago

My 15-16' outdoor Trachy grows a foot each year, even in our cool mountain valley climate. The only palm that has grown faster is my Mexican Fan palm. It's growing like a weed. My Mediterranean fan palm is the oldest, and is much slower growing, but it's got a trunk as thick as the Trachy.