Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimhardy_gw

T.Takil-first year in the ground

jimhardy
11 years ago

Some of the Takil seeds I bought off EPS (Heberts seeds?)are starting to sprout.

You may remember that I lost a couple in bags and decided to put them in the ground

and let mother nature take care of them.....I planted 110,5 have now come up,one had it's

umbilical cord burned off during the heat wave,not sure if it's dead or battling to get that root

going in time to save/feed it.

The bed.............can you see them?-LOL

HEY,can you guys see that perfect triangular ligule above? Let there be no more discussion on the matter-LOL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next 2 are from James(Europalms)

This one was in the hoop house and saw single digits( F) 5F to 10F

Small Takil was covered in snow in early March when the airport north of here recorded 5F, it was in

the 70s -36 hours later and went on to be the warmest March in history,here.-Did not pull.

Same one here-Sept 3,2012.

We had 1.74" of rain here a little over a week ago-most rain since last November...anyway,it caused the"leaf blades" to

separate,I was wondering how long it would take as both are on their 7-9th leaves-this is more pronounced on the other one....

This one("spear") pulled from a poorly forecasted night where temps hit the mid teens(14F),supposed to only be 25F

(BTW-this wiped out the T.ferns,only the Antarctica survived...and the cores of the Cooperi.)anyway,

this tiny Takil seedling made it through winter with no spear and has produced the equivalent of 4 leaves.

The newest leaf also split after the-previously mentioned-rainfall we had.

The next spear is now visible...hopefully get it open for business before winter.

I wouldn't run out and buy all the Takil seeds/plants you can find just yet but I think these have done very well for being such small plants and already having a winter under their belt(so to speak),did I mention they also have had to deal with our horrible heat/drought and humidity that has been as low as 7% with temps as high as 106F.

I have had Sabals that were the same size not get trough the winter and we know they get more cold hardy

as they age so,to me,this is encouraging.

Not a bad first year-next year they will be producing divided leaves and should speed up a little.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting