Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long before I see palmate fronds on my Needle Palm?

Posted by mcgyvr2009i 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 10:32

I am waiting patiently for the fronds to form. It's still forming the single leaf fronds by the looks of it. How long before I see fans on my needle palm? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long before I see palmate fronds on my Needle Palm?

Most palms take a year or so before leaves even start to split into two sections. Then even longer before you get a fan. Patience is needed for growing palms from seeds.

o

Needle palms are very slow-growing. The ones I grew from seed took 2-3 years before the leaves started splitting, and another year or two before the leaves had more than 2 segments. At 10 years old my one remaining plant (gave the rest away) is still quite small. In my opinion this species isn't worth growing from seed unless you need large quantities for commercial sale.

o

I'm sorry to agree with John, but it might be 10 years before you get some full sized mature fronds. I've had older ones for 4-5 years before they started putting out mature fronds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here