Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

This year's outdoor palm pictures, zone 4

arctictropical
15 years ago

Here are some pictures of palms that have been outside from between 4 and 13 years. The Med. palms have been outside at least 13 years. The Trachy. about 8-9 years and the Pindo palm about 4 years.

Comments (24)

• mike-jaramillo
    15 years ago

SUPER! I am going to try your method for my sabal palmetto and bananas. My other palms do ok with just a cold frame plastic cover over them. Your method has also has me thinking about maybe get a Washingtonia and keep it in the ground this spring.

• anttisepp
    15 years ago

Great respect, arctictropical, for your beautiful plants (that noticeably grew more larger) and exellent experience.
    With best wishes
    Antti

• eli17zn6
    15 years ago

Nice tropical and palms, where do you live at?

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Arctic,thanks for posting,allways enjoy seeing your yard!

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

B.T.W.why not put a remote sensor on the crown of one of your large palms?it may be that they survive much lower temps than most would think,either way it would be interesting info to have the info

• nucci60
    15 years ago

Jimhardy, isn't it amazing what she accomplishes?

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

He?she? spectacular!Would still love to know what goes on in those boxes though-LOL

• nannerbelle
    15 years ago

Beautiful Artic!! I'm in awe of what a beautiful tropic setting you have in your yard with such a cold climate. I love the Pindo, one of my favorites and the Elephant Ears in the one shot. Congrats on a successful growing year!!

• planetgreen
    15 years ago

nice palms..........but your not in the artic from the background in the pics,i'm in z#5 and can't grow these,would love to though,artic is z#0a

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the comments! eli17zn6, I live southwest of Logan, Utah, in the bottom of Cache Valley, where I experienced -45 F. one year (before I grew the palms outside) and -40 F. just about 10 years ago, when I had the Mediterranean fan palms outside. The reason my username is artictropical is because you might as well try growing tropicals in the artic as here in Northern Utah! You have the same challenges when it gets this cold.

Kevin

• pyratejim
    15 years ago

Artic, beautiful pictures is an understatement. What you have going on there is absolutely FANTABULOUS!!!

Now, how about some similar pictures in the dead of winter with snow on the ground? Anything from last winter or ones past? Would love to see the contrast and really get an appriciation for what those beauties go through.

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pyratejim, here are the palms, "nestled" in their boxes in the dead of winter. The really small boxes protect some musa banana plants.

{{gwi:406304}}

The following was taken years ago when the Trachy was only about four feet high instead of ten feet high (this year).

• pyratejim
    15 years ago

That is something else. Do you heat the insides or do anything else to them besides box them up and the ramping around the bottom? I'm just north of Detroit where we rarely go below zero, but do have several days in a row of temps only in the teens and I would love to invest the $$ into palms if I knew how to keep them safe over the winter months.

• trachyhead
    15 years ago

Arctictropical, your palms are a credit to you. Extremily well done!!

• v1rt
    15 years ago

Kevin, I'm jealous! Your garden is gorgeous!!!

• tropicaluk
    15 years ago

Wow, this is the most impressive protection I've seen. Amazing job, well done.

Arctictropical - I'm writing a section of my palm website on winter protection and would love to mention you as an example of what is possible. What you mind if I use a couple of these pics and write a piece about you?

Rob

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Rob! Sure, you are most welcome to use any pictures and information for your article. Anything I can do to promote growing palm trees in the frigid lands of the north is just great! (I have not covered my 10' Trachy yet even though we have had 18-20 F. temperatures the last several nights. My Trachy seems to laugh at the frost. It still looks in perfect condition. I probably won't cover it until November. In the past I have always covered it by the first part of October, but not this year. Sometimes I think I over-protect them when they don't need it!)

Kevin

• tropicaluk
    15 years ago

Hi Kevin,

Thanks very much, I really appreciate that.

Rob

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Beautifull!!!!I think if I lived at your house I would never want to leave!whats your address?j.k.LOL

• canadianplant
    14 years ago

I am very interested in trying palms and other marginal plants at my home. I have many questions for you, it seems we live in a similar climate. Please email me at pencilstealer@hotmail.com so we can have a nice chat!!

Jesse

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Jesse! I sent you an email with some information. If you need anything else, please let me know. These were pictures from last Fall. The palms are doing very well this summer, although the Pindo Palm lost most of it's fronds from something strange last month, maybe from letting it dry out, because it was in perfect condition when I took the box off in Spring. The other three are growing like weeds.

• HU-811299770
    4 years ago

Is this thread still active ?

• HU-811299770
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Arctictropical I was just confirming that when you packaged your palms for the winter you did not water them from October to April?

• HU-811299770
    4 years ago

Or if anyone can answer on behalf of the question. Thank you in Advance