Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Palms

Posted by knotz 8/PNW SWWA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 12:09

I have two washingtonia robustas in pots...I put them in pots WAY too big...I started these from seeds 3 yrs ago and when they were about 6", I put them in 14" pots...Big mistake.

My question...Can I take these out, cut some of the roots and put them in smaller pots??...Like gallon size or a bit bigger??

They haven't grown but a "wee" bit and I'm thinking it's because they are in TOO big of pots.

Thanks for your help :)

knotz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Palms

You can take them out of the pots, but if you cut the roots, there is a good chance your palm wont make it. They cant tolerate too much root damage and even disturbing there roots can slow there growth.
Washingtonias need lots of heat to grow fast as well as sun so maybe its not getting enough warmth. They will grow in cooler climates, just not as fast. Seedlings also grow slower than adults. It might be in too big of a pot now, but as long as the pot drains well and the plant wont rot from excess moisture, it should live to get to a size large enough to fit the pot.
Good luck!
-Alex

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here