Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloyzius

Pictures of my little backyard haven

aloyzius
11 years ago

Here's some shots of my yard. I guess this really belongs in the Tropicalesque Forum, but over here is where the real action is. When I moved in two years ago, there wasn't much in the yard. So most of these palms and plants are babies, but almost all of the work is my own. And it's slowly filling in and growing up nicely.

Here's my bottle palm.

Here's my little washy, a sego, a smaller bottle palm, and some bananas

Here are my two windmill palms. They were both severely over pruned so that I could ship them here from utah. The little guy bounced back nicely. Big brother hasn't done much of anything, the last nine months, and is about to get passed up. Same soil, same treatment, same dappled shade. It's a mystery. Oh well.

Some random cool stuff. And yes, I made the tiki dudes.

And the best, for last. You can barely see it, but that's my deck buried in there. Those white birds are getting massive. Lots of sweet potato vine, a couple sickly crinums, another washy, some heliconia, chewed up canna, crown of thorns. Ah. Lots of stuff.

Anyway, I dig all your photos, so I hope you like mine.

Comments (12)

• aloyzius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh! I forgot the bananas!

Zebrina.

And a mystery nanner, that is fruiting!

Check it out.

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Awesome yard! You have so many cool plants, I can only imagine how much bigger everything will be by next year! What zone are you in? The house itself looks pretty northern in style, but the landscaping looks zone 9!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• aloyzius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. I have lots, lots lots more in the yard. But I didn't want to go too crazy. I live in Tampa, we're 9b I think. I had to do imitation tropical, or find ways to cheat the winters in Utah. Now I can grow just about anything I want. Uh...except grass, obviously.

• aloyzius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and then there's this thing I built for our wedding a couple months back. It's dismantled right now, thanks to Tropical Storm Debbie. But it sure made everything look cool.

• chadec
    11 years ago

Nice photos. Must be nice being able to plant just about anything now. What's your future plans for the garden?

• aloyzius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Future plans. Well, I have built up islands here and there in the back. And as those plants grow and spread so will those islands. I want to eventually have little pathways so it feels like rooms. I'll have my Polynesian inspired stuff, and then some Asian stuff. Just a hodge podge of what I consider exotic and cool. Plant wise I have all my fantasy plants. I just need to watch them grow, as I discover others. But I really have everything I've ever wanted. And stuff like the washies while, not very exciting to most, remind me of childhood vacations at Disneyland. I should have posted my date palms and bamboo, but I forgot.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Everything looks very happy-love the Bananas!

• tropicalzone7
    11 years ago

Wow, that was a very cool tropical structure for your wedding, Too bad Debbie ruined it! You have a really awesome yard, cant wait to see it fill out and see the additions you add to it. I like Washingtonias a lot even though they are common palms!
    Thanks again for sharing!
    -Alex

• delreytropical
    11 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE this backyard! so much stuff to look at!, cant wait for more pics maybe next spring
    ?

• orchiddude
    11 years ago

Love those spindle palms and the tiki hut. I made a tiki bar that adds to the palms I grow. Its amazing what a little bamboo can make.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Love it all! Got any tiki torches in there?

• aloyzius
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. I have about twenty tiki torches, but I only drag them out when we have people over. They just get wrecked in the weather.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz