Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most invasive palms

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lady Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 12:55

As I have said before, I got into this whole gardening/landscaping thing around the beginning of last Spring (2012). Being in Florida, I have learned that there are a wide array of plants that will readily grow in my area. In a very short time I also learned that this has led to many plants becoming invasive and 'starving' out some native species. There are even some people who are worried that some exotic palms have escaped and are now starting to grow in wild areas. So I have been trying to select plants for my yard that are either native or non-invasive. For palms, all I have at the moment are some robellini's and a few Sabal sprouts. At least I think they're sabal, the seeds looks like sabal, but each one is still in the 'grass' stage.

In in the interest of remaining non-invasive, which palms should I try to avoid? I have tried going through the Florida-Friendly Plant Database, but many species it suggests for my area are listed as 'Not Assessed'. So I thought I would pick ya'll's brains a bit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most invasive palms

Syagrus romanzoffiana, Livestonia chinensis, and Phoenix reclinata are a definite no no.
i would suggest the true natives of course but also Beccariophoenix is a very non aggressive genus.
Also planting Dioecious palms such as Bismarckia will lesson the risk of seeds being produced/spread.

o
RE: Most invasive palms

Local rainfall and local birdlife I think are important factors in invasiveness. I've found the most invasive here are Caryota mitis and Ptychosperma macarthuri. I'm forever pulling those out. Another that I only recently identified (one of the plants has now got large enough) as Bismarkia nobilis, the green form. The Bismarkia was a bit of a surprise as the seeds are fairly large and you usually see them sprouting around the base of the parent plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here