Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Most invasive palms

As I have said before, I got into this whole gardening/landscaping thing around the beginning of last Spring (2012). Being in Florida, I have learned that there are a wide array of plants that will readily grow in my area. In a very short time I also learned that this has led to many plants becoming invasive and 'starving' out some native species. There are even some people who are worried that some exotic palms have escaped and are now starting to grow in wild areas. So I have been trying to select plants for my yard that are either native or non-invasive. For palms, all I have at the moment are some robellini's and a few Sabal sprouts. At least I think they're sabal, the seeds looks like sabal, but each one is still in the 'grass' stage.

In in the interest of remaining non-invasive, which palms should I try to avoid? I have tried going through the Florida-Friendly Plant Database, but many species it suggests for my area are listed as 'Not Assessed'. So I thought I would pick ya'll's brains a bit.

Comments (2)