Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chadec7a

Labor day 2011 update

chadec7a
12 years ago

Summer is about over, we are still having days in the 90's but they are fewer and the nights are dropping into the 60's. The first pic is of my one year old weeping willow. I bought it as a 20 dollar stick from Home Depot last August.

This pic is from early spring

And this pic is from today.

My windmills have grown like crazy even though they are in a ton of shade.

My hibiscus are blooming like crazy.

My baby musa velutinas.

Siam Rubys

cycas taitungensis

Needle palm

Pindo palm

and a bunch of random photos.

A little bit of wind damage from last week, but nothing major.

Sorry about all the photos. I just got alittle carried away.

Thanks for looking,

Chad

Comments (10)

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

Nice pics Chad

The Trachys have really grown along with the Siam ruby.

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

Nice pics, Chad! That weeping willow will be a huge tree someday. That siam ruby looks very cool. Do you think it could survie zone 6? Dont worry, I get carried away with pictures too. I have 2 baby musa velutina banana trees right now. They are the pups from the bigger trees. I love watching them get a little bigger and a little bigger.
    Today has been cool and wet. My plants probably dont like that. My windmill palm got flooded again, so I just stuck it in my room. Im a little worried about my other plants, though. Its been really rainy and in the mid to low 60s all day. I hope they do ok.
    Again great pics, I really like them. I also love how the bricks and the window shutters on your house look like my grandparents house,haha! The siams ruby looks amazing as does all of your other plants.
    -Hunter

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Awesome pics!! Everything looks great! I love the cacti and the Trachys are growing great. Your Basjoos look tons better than mine (mine are a little shreeded and didnt grow a ton this year in height. They are my biggest disapointment this year).
    Very nice weeping willow. I really like the look of them when small, and of course,they are beautiful when larger too. I especially like them when weeping over ponds!
    -Alex

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jim, Now that the trachys are starting to grow I am seeing some thickness form on the trunk. Good sign, this will help with there hardness!

Hunter, Siam Rubys are a zone 9 or better plant. Less hardy than Ensettes. Come winter time they get dug up and divided. I will treat treat them like house plants so they don't lose there foliage.
    We have been having a ton of rain too. I have actually lost two agaves to rot. And they where in raised beds.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Alex, I would have to say other than the mother bajsoo, the rest didn't perform either. The tall bajsoo in the front yard was actually overwintered an has grown very little. Only putting out 8 leaves all summer.

Can't wait for the willow to get huge. Just don't want all the spiders that come with them.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

My basjoo also put out around 8 to 9 leaves also but out of those 8, they were more narrow and more compact than last year. I think some time im the ground this winter might benefit it. It will give the roots a chance to have no disruption, and if it dies back, it might give it a fresh start at growing better. We'll see!
    -Alex

• wetsuiter
    12 years ago

My three clumps of basjoo get about 12' to 15' by this time of year. The most robust cluster must have 10 stems and pups. I think you're right Alex, yours may prefer to winter in ground rather than bring dug up. But you can always spade off a pup or two and nurture them inside this winter.

To winter them over outside, let them get hit by the first frost and then cut them down to the ground. Let the cold night air get to the stems for a few nights to a week to signal the plants to stop growing and dry out. Then cover them with 3" to 6" of mulch (not compost). Snow cover will also help insulate them against very cold nights. By mid April you should see multiple pups coming up. Maybe a bit later up in your area. I usually have to spade off excessive pups or ones growing too far from where I want them. I root those and give them as gifts. Good luck.

• bradleyo_gw
    12 years ago

Nice variety of plants. Where in carolina are you? i'm guessing ec stands for east carolina, but i would figure those areas are all at least 7b or 8a. Do you protect your pindo?

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wetsuiter I agree ever basjoo that that stays in ground over winter grows better. They seem to have a stronger root system.

Bradleyo I'm just outside Winston Salem, In King N.C. The ec is actually initials. The large pindo shown is still in a pot. To scared to plant it. However I do have one planted that will get protected.

• chadec7a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wetsuiter I agree ever basjoo that that stays in ground over winter grows better. They seem to have a stronger root system.

Bradleyo I'm just outside Winston Salem, In King N.C. The ec is actually initials. The large pindo shown is still in a pot. To scared to plant it. However I do have one planted that will get protected.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia