Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bottle Palm advice

Posted by cwcervantes 9A / New Orleans (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 13:43

Hello! I purchased a small Bottle Palm that I plan to grow in a container. Any recommendations for potting mix? I was thinking of using a well draining compost / bagged soil that I had on hand.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottle Palm advice

Hi
Here is an old pic of my last Bottle that I grew from seed.
I used a mix of "cactus/palm" along with about a third leca. have used all kinds of mixes over the years but since this pot is 3x 3 feet thought it needed some extra drainage Don't seem to be too particular as long as it drains well. gary

o

Thanks, Gary. I think I'll mix the soil with Growstones -- similar to LECA but lighter as it's expanded glass. Do these palms do well pot bound?

o

Thanks, Gary. I think I'll mix the soil with Growstones -- similar to LECA but lighter as it's expanded glass. Do these palms do well pot bound?

o

Hi
IMHO they are best in a pot.lol They are slow growing ,tend to get wide rather than tall, easily wind damaged and are cold sensitive. Also think they hold onto the "bottle" longer though there is wide variation between plants on this feature from the start. This one was the best of the seedlings and i decided to keep it because a neighbor gave me the pot and did the work lol
It is a bit over 30 years old and you still wouldn't be able to walk under it. if in the ground.. i have a very small lot and a hopeless" collector' so something had to go lol
Certainly makes a striking pot plant?? good luck with yours!! gary

o

o

I'd say that bottle palms are probably better at being pot bound than a lot of other palms are. Mine is pretty pot bound right now and it pushed out 3 fronds just this season which is a very decent growth rate for Bottle palms. If you have good drainage in the pot, make sure to give them lots of water. They don't like drying out for too long.

Good luck!
-Alex

o

Majesty palms in California also get bottle like trunks...then later grow out of that.

This post was edited by stanofh on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 17:02

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here