Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sago Palms

Posted by estinson none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 13:45

The Sago Palms in the front of our house have grown too high and I need to cut them back. What can I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sago Palms

Don't know what zone your in, but if you're in zone 8 or lower it's not a good idea to trim sagos unless the fronds are completely brown. Cycads and palms pull nourishment from old fronds so cutting back will weaken the plant. If they're too tall you'll need to relocate them. The growth bud is at the top so if you cut it back into the bud you'll kill it. If there are pups around the base of the plant, that might be an option as the pups will eventually fill in for the mother plant.

o
RE: Sago Palms

Dose anyone know when and how to dig up and transplant my sago pups?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Palms & Cycads Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here